Sign in to follow this  
xHandbasketx

Where to Begin?

xHandbasketx    122
Well, I'm half of a partnership. Myself and my Partner have ran roleplaying forums for a while now, nothing that is too outstanding or worth noting. My partner has a rather large community that she's developed over the years on another client. However, after years of playing with others' games and dealing with the limitations within, she and I have decided to try and, well for lack of a better term, Mom an' Pop a new client. The Details: We're wanting to do something along the lines of what has been started by Dragon's Eye, IMVU and Ragnarok Online. Create, basically, a highly customizable Graphical Client that also has an ease for world creation. We're not wanting to do something that's super-high end. Nothing like Second Life, or World of Warcraft. What we want to do is a simple, sweet client that has a lot of customization and will allow for the Users and Ourselves to push it. The business side of it, well, we know how we can return the revenue with it. There are somethings that we have thought of that simply aren't done, and really can't be done with a higher end client. At least not in the stages we are at and still be successful and return the revenue. I focus a lot on the money side, but it's not because I am one of these who wants to quit his job and live off the game, individuals. No, I want to create a client that is first and foremost self-sustainable. Secondly, able to support it's own development and expansion. Third, to aid in the development of it's sister-clients. When we've been able to achieve those three phases then we know the company will be at a place that we can rely on it as our primary means of revenue. The problem, alas, is that we have all the focus and ability to generate the art for it, as well as build the community aspect. We need, however, someone who can handle the client development and bug fixes. I'm not a programmer, I've tried and failed too many times. My Mind doesn't wrap around the code as well as mosts' do. I do, however, have a vision and drive for where my partner and I intend to go with this. We just don't know were to begin with client-development. A friend of mine suggested we should check out this site, so here I am. I was actually afraid to come here because of how many kids I've personally seen on our boards who log in and go, "I r here to maek WoW suzkkroz." and then they spam and cry about this great concept they have, but they've really done nothing to push or develop it. My partner has developed a lot of artwork that she's used to mod the client she uses for her roleplay sessions. The artists who have shown interest in hooking up with us, have the same. Myself, I'm used to building and managing large communities, and running large scale games as a GM, and Event Ref. Not to mention doing what I can in developing or brainstorming features that I see our client will have to have, or at the very least would be awesome and set it apart from others. I appreciate any suggestions or comments, and I'd love to maybe find a coder who'd be willing to work with us, or even be partner if they click well enough. In any case, thanks for your time. ~Chris D.

sweetbread    152
Well, I understand your enthusiasm. Unfortunately, creating something along the scale that you've mentioned would take a heck of a lot of resources; resources in terms of development staff, time invested into testing, and so on.
To create something that even a small group of people can manage would be a monumental challenge, but to create something that facilitates the creation of content would be even more challenging.

When I read your post, I keep picturing Neverwinter Nights (the BioWare version, not the AOL version). In order to develop and release a product that the end user could use to create custom content, BioWare spent about 5 years developing NWN. This, of course, is with a dedicated team, working 60+ hours per week, for 5 years. Designers, producers, musicians, artists, coders, server administrators, play-testers, and then some are all involved in the development of a quality package such as NWN.

So, you need to refine your ideas and enhance your vision. Ask yourself what is more important, real-time vs turn based, 2D vs 3D, server/client vs standalone, zoning vs seemlessness, and so on. Chances are, you may have to compromise on some of your key ideas.

Chances are, that this isn't going to happen, at least not today. Regardless of your intentions, just developing and maintaining such a project is bound to take the majority of your time, let alone managing a community. It sounds like you already have a community; I would suggest to stay with the medium that you currently use (it IS NWN, isn't it? lol) and keep that community in tact.

Aside from recruiting from your community, I would suggest that you offer your services as artists to the gamedev community. Not only will it allow you to get your hands dirty on some projects in development, but it will also allow you to network and make contacts that you can call on when you begin to develop this project that your envisioning. Remain consistent. Stay around here, read the posts, reply, make yourself known; only then can we take you seriously. You have no clue how many people hop in here on a daily basis with posts like "How do I make games?" The majority of which, are (thankfully) never heard from again.

BTW, this alleged partner that you're talking about, wouldn't happen to be Chaz, now would it?

Jouei    102
One should never fear asking the question even though the answer may not be one well liked. There are a few things to cinsider in this. One is that you need to deviced a platform is it web based where it can run through a Web browser or is it a download and play for a better graphical abilaty. Two Everyonme has game ideas and plans but rarly any work out and do not take that in a bad way its about wanting something bad enough and finsing a way to achive it. three You can and should of posted this in the jobs area of the forum its sort of a recrutment area most pepole execpt to be paid but there are a few who will do it for free or with some sort of perk that they will see in the end. Programing does not have to be hard its about finding what works for you there are so very easy langauges out there python and c# are quite easy and powerful and should not be over looked just because C++ has been so popular for so many years.

It is more then likly that you will have to devolp the game yourself and that is not a bad thing it means you will get better control and a product that you want exactly.

The bigest thing right now is figure out what your platform is and how users will access yoru game and start from there. Then move to what kind of game si ti 3d is it 2d without these things planed out and very clearly layed out not alot of pepole will want to help you.

Keep your chin up and don't stop dreaming.

Behold the power of the if statment may its power make you tremble....

xHandbasketx    122
I think my fault here is that people are thinking I may be meaning a game like WoW, Second life or There. Really what I'm looking for is a 3D, Isometric view. A locked Camera perspective, for now but something I plan to change to fully 3D in a later version of the client. Not an update, but in a different client all together.

The first client, however, is going to be more like an old Playstation Game style of Graphics. Sprite-based, but a more detailed sprite. Something along the lines of this, this is a sample from one of the Artists that maybe submitting graphics. [see link at the end] However, most of the Artists that will be submitting work to this project are of this calibur, some better.

As for what I want: I want a client-based game. Something that can be downloaded, and will allow players to create their own maps/worlds that they can then upload to our servers and other players can then enter, and "join in." By locating the area in which the creator has loaded their map in, or simply typing the map/creators name and using a simple "Go: [location]" command. We want something that is simple, but not so simple that it scares away seasoned artist, but not so complex that it scares away new members who may be interested in building their world.

However, we will have our own set world/theme that we will be following. This "story" will flow with the game development including the opening of new areas for members to meet and congregate, or new avatars and items that they may purchase. However, when it comes to the business side I'm not ready yet to release all our details. At least not openly, I will privately to those interested.

But, as the one responder had said, yes Neverwinter Nights was a massive game. However, we're not talking along those lines. We're talking a more simple client/user interface. Something that can be developed over a period of time and we will, of course, cut the development staff in on the profits when/if they come. I'm a writer, I'm used to dealing with outsourcing some of my work to artists, and I'm not one to sit here and say: "Well you aren't getting any returns for your work, but we'll be making money!" No, there will be a gracious show of appreciation to any code wrangler/programmer who helps.

Right now, as staff goes, it is my Partner and I. But, we are prepared to expand our list of fellow associates. Some of which whom include other artists and a flash developer. However, he's not done anything to the scale we intend to do. However, beyond those five we have many aquaintences whom we've worked with in the past that are willing to volunteer their time to handle moderation and bug hunting.

We're a lot more prepared than just "Hay We have idea for game!" We've discussed what we want/need, right now it's just finding people whom know how to wrangle the code and help with the overall client development and discuss the payment they will want in return for their services. Free would be preferred at this venture, but rest assured if the revenue returns as we know/expect it to, then they shall be rewarded for their time.

http://archive.roamheart.com/?act=img&fs=1&id=1591
Didn't expect the links to not work. But ^ is an example of the art/graphics we're getting.

Antheus    2409
Quote:
I want a client-based game. Something that can be downloaded, and will allow players to create their own maps/worlds that they can then upload to our servers and other players can then enter, and "join in." By locating the area in which the creator has loaded their map in, or simply typing the map/creators name and using a simple "Go: [location]" command. We want something that is simple, but not so simple that it scares away seasoned artist, but not so complex that it scares away new members who may be interested in building their world.

Quote:
There are somethings that we have thought of that simply aren't done, and really can't be done with a higher end client.

Metaplace.

It has the added advantage of being much more accessible, since it runs completely inside a browser, making it playable even on set-top boxes, phones, etc...

Much more importantly, it's intended for full aggregation with social web sites, as well as other web-based communities. A stand-alone downloadable client is actually a deterrent since everything is moving online at rapid pace due to various issues, ranging from cost of portability to IP and DRM to service oriented models.

Quote:
The business side of it, well, we know how we can return the revenue with it.

Does that mean you have a written and verified business plan?

Simple matter of fact is, if you generate a lot of hype (make a web site, start building community, attract like-minded people, etc.), it may attract some people. But realistically, free doesn't buy much these days.