• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
starvinmarvin

3D mouse coords: gluUnproject again

This topic is 3472 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've got a OpenGL scene. A player/camera, which position is (64,TerrainHeight,64) and a Terrain starting at (0,0,0) which has a size of 128x128. Now I want to get the mouse coords in 3d space. I use following code:
Vector3 Engine::Get3DMousePosition()
{

POINT mousepos;
	GetCursorPos(&mousepos);
	double dx; double dy; double dz;

GLdouble modelview[16], projection[16];
	GLint viewport[4]; 
	float z;

glGetDoublev( GL_MODELVIEW_MATRIX, modelview );
	glGetDoublev( GL_PROJECTION_MATRIX, projection );
	glGetIntegerv( GL_VIEWPORT, viewport );

glReadPixels( mousepos.x, viewport[3] - mousepos.y, 1, 1, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, GL_FLOAT, &z); 
	//gluUnProject(mousepos.x, iRealY, depth[0], model_view, projection, viewport, &dx, &dy, &dz);
	gluUnProject( mousepos.x, viewport[3] - mousepos.y, z, modelview, projection, viewport, &dx, &dy, &dz);

return Vector3(float(dx), float(dy), float(dz));
}

All I get are weird results which range e.g. for the x coordinate from < -1000 to > 900. I'm confused and don't know what I am doing wrong. Also some internet sources say you get a Ray others say you get the true 3d mouse position... :( Oh, I found out that it must have something to do with the fact that I set the Mouse Cursor to a fixed point for Camera rotation (may the rotation could mess it up too?) [Edited by - starvinmarvin on December 18, 2008 4:28:36 PM]

Advertisement
Looking at my old GL code for that: try getting the matrices as FLOAT instead of DOUBLE. Might work. Might now. I migrated to DX, I don't remember :)

I would look at what GetCursorPos() provides to you exactly.
e.g. seems like it may be providing the screen co-ordinates.
where as you probably want the co-ordinates relative to the 'window' that is your viewing plane.

?

Quote:
Original post by starvinmarvin
Also some internet sources say you get a Ray others say you get the true 3d mouse position... :(
If you read back the actual z-buffer value under the mouse, and pass it to gluUnProject (as you are currently), then you get a 3D position. If instead you pass a fixed z-value, you will get some sort of ray.

Quote:
Original post by steven katic
I would look at what GetCursorPos() provides to you exactly.

Right: correct me if I am wrong but GetCursorPos() returns coords relative to the whole screen. In case your application is windowed you should subtract the window top-left coords, something like..

pos = GetCursorPos()
pos.x = pos.x - window.x
pos.y = pos.y - window.y

Thanks. I got it working so far, I was calling the function before camera rotation and translation. But I still don't get the correct results. And yes, I'm in windowed mode. Tried viewport[3] - mousecoord.y too. I get slightly better results when doing something like: mousecoord.x * screenwidth and mousecoord.y * screenheight,

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!