Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to registry a common Win32 application as a service under Win2K/NT?

This topic is 6021 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,All... Now,I have a common Win32 application which alway running until the system shutdown, the why is that the application is a system monitor program,and it will do a special task when some specified event occurrs,such as the system is being attack. If the applaction as a common process alway-running on the system,the user can terminate it on the "Task Manager",since the name of the application is appeared on it. But if the application is as a Service running on the system,its name will not be showed in the "Task manager",thereby the user cannot terminate it. So,does anyone can tell me how to registry a common program as a Service under the Win2K/NT platform? Any help will be much thankful! ============================= Hey,I just wanna know WHY! =============================

For NT4:

NT4 Server option pack includes a program called srvany.exe, you can use this to use pretty much any valid win32 executable as a service. Full instructions for its use are in the option pack.

I have never tried it with 2K, but I would guess there is an equivalent program provided with it somewhere.

Thanks to STG!

And then can you help me more a bit and tell me where I can download the NT4 Server option pack?

Thanks!

=============================
Hey,I just wanna know WHY!
=============================

I just noticed that it may not be in the option pack, but in the resource kit instead,

I always get it form the IT guys here but a quick search of the net produced this knowledge base article http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q152/4/60.asp . I don''t know if it is free or not, but if it is I would have a look at the Microsoft site. The best I could find was this, which seems to be a cut down version of the kit. I don''t know if it has srvany in: http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/recommended/ntkit/default.asp .

good luck