Question about instancing

Started by
1 comment, last by grunt123 15 years, 4 months ago
Hi, Currently, our game is cpu-bound, and needs some instancing. We are using GPU-based skinning technique for all our animated objects ... is there a way to instance a gpu-skinned object in d3d9? (think d3d10 can do this, but not sure about d3d9)
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by grunt123
Currently, our game is cpu-bound, and needs some instancing. We are using GPU-based skinning technique for all our animated objects ...

Are you absolutely sure you're draw call limited and instancing is the solution? This typically only happens when you have hundreds of instances of some geometry (grass, foliage, particles). Chances are you're actually limited by something else right now. Not sorting draw calls by state and resource changes is a common cause.
Quote:is there a way to instance a gpu-skinned object in d3d9? (think d3d10 can do this, but not sure about d3d9)

Efficiently Drawing Multiple Instances of Geometry (Direct3D 9).
There are way too many drawprimitive calls at the moment (i'm porting a game btw). i'm trying to find anything to reduce the number of drawprimitive calls (along with state change calls). It looks like i can't really do instancing for gpu-skinned objects tho.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement