Forces that affect MMORPG subscriptions

Started by
1 comment, last by Codeka 15 years, 4 months ago
Hi all, I'm developing a study that involves forces that affect MMORPG subscriptions, and the reasons why (if applicable). For example, factors which increase subscriptions: - initial launch (due to pre-launch marketing blitz) - new content (e.g. new races, new areas, new items, new decor, etc) - fresh content (e.g. saving players from the inevitable boredom; not the same as new content) - bugs which increase character advantage (e.g. dupe bugs) Factors which decrease subscriptions: - bugs which decrease character advantage (e.g. getting stuck, unexpected loss of items/stats/wealth) - release of similar games by competition - addition of features which players feel is detrimental to gameplay - feature nerfing I'd love to hear your opinions. Thanks, - DH
Advertisement
Two points. One is that MMORPGs capitalize a lot on networking effects. There is a good article on this topic here:

Quote:Scott Gallagher and Seung Ho Park, "Innovation and Competition in Standard-Based Industries: A Historical Analysis of the U.S. Home Video Game Market", IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON ENGINEERING MANAGEMENT, VOL. 49, NO. 1, FEBRUARY 2002

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=985749

Also, you could consider an MMORPG as a platform around which you create a sustainable ecosystem (new content, merchandizing, in-game and RL events, forums & chat rooms, etc). Here is a more recent view on this:

Quote:Sizhu Tan and Mingzhi Li , " The market structure of the video game industry: A platform perspective", Service Systems and Service Management, 2008 International Conference on, June 30 2008-July 2 2008, Page(s):1 - 4

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?tp=&arnumber=4598486&isnumber=4598430

Hope this helps.

-cb
Quote:Original post by DarkHorizon
For example, factors which increase subscriptions:
- initial launch (due to pre-launch marketing blitz)
- new content (e.g. new races, new areas, new items, new decor, etc)
- fresh content (e.g. saving players from the inevitable boredom; not the same as new content)
- bugs which increase character advantage (e.g. dupe bugs)

Apart from the first one, I don't think the others have any effect. Unless you consider expansion packs that are marketed as heavily as the initial release as "new content" (e.g. the WoW Lich King expansion pack).

The normal cycle of new content that happens would be unlikely to attract new subscriptions, it's more a way of keeping existing subscriptions. The reason being that people who are not already playing the game simply wouldn't know about it. Same with "advantagous" bugs (though to me, there's no such thing)

In my opinion, the number one way that an established MMO game would increase subscriptions is via regular advertising (WoW still runs TV ads, for example) and good old word-of-mouth.

Quote:Original post by DarkHorizon
Factors which decrease subscriptions:
- bugs which decrease character advantage (e.g. getting stuck, unexpected loss of items/stats/wealth)
- release of similar games by competition
- addition of features which players feel is detrimental to gameplay
- feature nerfing

It's much easier to lose subscriptions than to gain them! I can think of plenty more: too much lag/congestion, boredom, economic downturns, and as I said above, a lack of new content (which contributes to boredom), etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement