Is it worth learning C+, C#, etc?

Started by
3 comments, last by Tom Sloper 15 years, 4 months ago
Hey, I'm more a musician/composer but have had experince with Morrowind and Dungeon Kepper scripting (I know that's very basic :D) as well as knowing HTML and a bit of Java. My question is, is it worth the time to learn programming (I'm 20 years old) and am most likely going to pursue a career somewhere in the music industry from playing to sound engeneering but still am not quite sure where I want to head, just exploring my options (as I have always wanted to get into the gamming industry until I picked up a guitar :P). Thanks and sorry if this is a stupid question ;), Wyatt. [Edit] Forgot to mention I'm guessing coding involves alot of problem solving, which I love to do :)
Advertisement
There is no (real) language called "C+" -- did you mean C++?

In any case, it is worth learning a programming language if you want to program. If you are not interested in writing programs, you will not likely find the educational process rewarding enough to stick with it.

Give it a shot -- try learning C# or Python (which are better options for a beginning programmer than C or C++ generally). If you enjoy it, by all means continue. If you don't, perhaps you shouldn't bother.
Quote:Original post by Morbid Addiction
Hey,

I'm more a musician/composer but have had experince with Morrowind and Dungeon Kepper scripting (I know that's very basic :D) as well as knowing HTML and a bit of Java.

My question is, is it worth the time to learn programming (I'm 20 years old) and am most likely going to pursue a career somewhere in the music industry from playing to sound engeneering but still am not quite sure where I want to head, just exploring my options (as I have always wanted to get into the gamming industry until I picked up a guitar :P).

Thanks and sorry if this is a stupid question ;),
Wyatt.

[Edit]

Forgot to mention I'm guessing coding involves alot of problem solving, which I love to do :)

Sure, it's fun. I'd recommend C#, as it's easy to learn, with almost everything you need packed into the big system library that comes with the language. It's not that much different from scripting, except that you are responsible for much more.

It's easy enough to pick it up as a hobby. Just grab a book, and get the free Visual C# Express 2008 compiler and editor on Microsoft's site. I believe you can also learn the whole language right off microsoft's site.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-ca/beginner/bb964631.aspx

I agree C# is an excellent place to start, especially if you are already familiar with Java.

I liked this book, although I jumped straight into XNA rather than the work through the second part which looks very interesting.

Keep jammin

Perfection is a product of progress not an alternative.

Quote:Original post by Morbid Addiction
...is it worth the time to learn programming...
sorry if this is a stupid question ;),...
Wyatt.

Well, actually, it is, Wyatt. Because "worth" is subjective. That is to say, ask this question of one person, and you'll get one answer. But ask it of two people, and you'll get conflicting answers. Because what's "worth it" for one person is a "waste of time" for another.
You have to decide this for yourself.
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/route66.htm
As for me, I spent some time learning programming. It was not a waste of my time. But I can name dozens of people who never saw value enough in it to warrant the bother of learning it.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement