Newbie Protection?!?

Started by
3 comments, last by Shadowdancer 22 years, 10 months ago
Hi all... A friend of mine and myself are pondering the design of a game project. It''s gonna be a mix of Patrizier and Privateer with some custom elements. Plus it''s multiplayer. One of those custom elements we''re thinking about is a measure to protect newbies, and that turned out to be a really tough subject. At the moment, we''re thinking about some kind of a minimum base an active player cannot lose, something like a permanent base protected by an impenetrable shield. We also had other plans like dividing the playfield in sectors with a difficulty level assigned to each and restrictions on travel in between sectors so that no large fleets or big guns can enter "newbie sectors". What would do you think to be a constructive measure to protect newbies from big (and unfair) players while maintaining a sense of "openness", i.e. not restricting movement too strictly? --- rm -rf / (Best compression everywhere. Kids, don''''t try this as root.)
Advertisement
Hi!

I haven''t played neither of those games, and I''m in a hurry.
Just gonna tell you what popped up in my head when I read your question.

If you try to attack someone with less than x% "army value" (tanks are worth so and so, while troops are worth this and that) your army will start "calling you a chicken". They don''t want to attack, or they leave. Or something.
That section thing looked good too.

If this is a 3D game, newbies can start at a "hill". That big things like tanks can''t clime. To grow bigger, the newbie must "lower the hill" by terraforming (or such). That way the hill gets lower until it''s at the same level as the rest. Thus enabling bigger opponents to travel the land and attack.

that''s just a thought in a rush...

good luck!

}+TITANIUM+{
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
I really like the "chicken" idea..

If there was some penalty for unfair gameplay you wouldn''t have to restrict the players'' actions, they would have to be responsible for playing nice..

You can''t eliminate all the unsportsmanlike players from the game, and even if you had some set of restrictions protecting newbies there would still be assholes trying to ruin things for everyone else..

I definitely believe there should be more thought to this in games, it''s one of the main reasons I don''t get into alot of online gaming(that and I spend most of my time programming)..

You can''t possibly restrict all ways people could play unfairly, and honest players wouldn''t necessarily appreciate being restricted in any manner because a few others can''t be trusted..

I agree with Seriema, there should be some penalty for unfair gameplay..whatever penalties you choose to implement could also be made to fit in nicely with the theme of the game, so that it would be transparent to most honest players..

My 2 cents

"Like all good things, it starts with a monkey.."
"Like all good things, it starts with a monkey.."
Shadowdancer, I lean towards the Newbie Sectors idea. Have several sectors that get harder, say 3 of them, and a Newbie has to play them all to be allowed in the real game (galaxy, battlefield, etc.). Have a credit system, like the experience in RPGs that value the player''s ability and one have to have at least, say 1000 credits for accessing Sector 2, 3000 for Sector 3 and 10000 for the real game. Also, if one played through those once, he would be given chance to skip that part, the "tutorial" part. And you can have some good players to guide the newbies in the Small Sectors, before they are allowed to the Big ones. Those helpers will be like the Mods in a Forum or OPs in IRC. They could have a number of task (simple ones) they could give newbie players, so newbies would learn easyer with the human interaction. Speaking of Small Sectors, this could be a slang for the Newbies Sectors, like "What do you mean, you''re skilled, you just got out of the Smalls!"...

Just some braindump...

Boby Dimitrov
boby@azholding.com
Boby Dimitrovhttp://forums.rpgbg.netBulgarian RPG Community
Just an unthought out thought that entered my head.

New players get a shield to protect their base. The shield is indestructable. As time progresses the shield generator breaks down and requires incesingly vast resource to maintain it untill it just isn''t practicle to maintain. Or as your army builds, energy is drawn from the shield to protect them as well. The larger the army, the less effective the shield.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement