Sign in to follow this  
Anri

PS3 and PSP programming...

I've had a look at the possiblity of programming a PSP and a PS3. The PSP apparently just needs a free linux emulator and IDE downloads, as well as knowledge of the C language. Seems simple enough, but info on programming the PS3 seems rather vague. With a knowledge of C, C++ and Java, I'm certainly up to the challenge of programming such machines but not so sure about getting set up to do so. What is the deal with these machines, and what hassle should I expect from them? Cheers.

The short with some tiny exceptions is that unless your an official publisher (or under contract from one) you aren't going to be able to make console games.

Anyway. there's homebrew for most consoles which generally requires OS hacked(PSP) or physically modded hardware (PS3). It's a PITA to set up: no official support, long hard to decipher setup docs, you have to find the info buried on the web.

But even with that, for most consoles there is absolutely no way for you to make something that anyone without hacked/modded hardware can play. Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo are the only people who can press disks that the un-modded consoles can read, you can also only get them to do it if you are an official developer (licensing deal with them, many $$$$, etc)

Current gen platforms that are homebrewable officially:

360 using XNA
iPhone using the iPhone SDK (requires owning a mac to program your apps)
maybe something for Wii? I dunno....

We may see some stuff available over the PS3 Home network but don't count on it.

-me

Yeah, I overlooked the firmware notes on the PSP-Programming.com site, and its a long list of "versionX.X has been successfully hacked".

Shame, because I thought I was on to something there...

I have not used that sdk yet I have used the ps2dev psp toolchain which was very simple to set up, just compile it. It just requires you have modded psp using something like a pandora battery and magic memory stick(there is some search terms for you).

"Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo are the only people who can press disks that the un-modded consoles can read"
This maybe about to change with respect to the psp if what I have read is correct. The new versions of the psp are going to drop the umd drive and get developers to supply games via a central download site(steam style).

Quote:

I have not used that sdk yet I have used the ps2dev psp toolchain which was very simple to set up, just compile it. It just requires you have modded psp using something like a pandora battery and magic memory stick(there is some search terms for you).

The actual SDK is the same, however, the "official" distribution of the homebrew SDK (that you linked) is more suitable to *nix development -- requires Cygwin or similar on Windows, doesn't integrate nicely with VS out-of-the-box, and can in general involve more setup overhead.

The project I linked is the same SDK, except recompiled and repackaged to run without dependencies on Cygwin and such, and including the appropriate supporting machinery to allow easy VS integration via makefile projects.

The same documentation for the actual APIs applies.

So in a nutshell, the games I make for my PSP and for other PSPs will require modded/hacked firmwares. And the only console I'm realistically going to be able to program for is the XBox 360 through XNA and C#...

Okay, cheers. It would have been nice if this had been possible - would have bought both a PSP & PS3 tommorow - but I can see the business sense in paying royalites to SONY.