Sign in to follow this  
dkx187

xna.net

dkx187    100
I heard that xna may soon enable programming with any .net language. Does anyone know if this is true? I don't think it is but I think it would be great.I would definitely write my game engine for xna integration.What do you all think about this if it were to actually happen.

Washu    7829
Nothing prevents you from using XNA with any other language. There are some limitations that your platform selection may impose, such as the XBox 360, in regards to the assemblies you are allowed to link to, though (IronPython for instance would most likely break).

MJP    19786
I haven't heard that they're adding official support for languages other than C#, in fact the unofficial line from the team was always "never". I know it's possible to use languages like VB.NET (this site has some tutorials), however it will complicate some things with installing the framework and using the Content Pipeline. Also I believe some of VB.NET assemblies aren't available in the .NET CF (like everything in the "My" namespace), which probably complicates things on the 360 side.

Ultimately I really don't think it would be a big deal at all to switch from one of the other .NET languages to C#. I write in both VB and C# every day, and I hardly notice the difference. :P