data encryption

Started by
4 comments, last by Telastyn 15 years, 4 months ago
Hi guys, I have a Linux server that hosts a website. Now id like to store some additional files on the server, however, I want to ensure that these cannot be stolen. Im sure getting access to the linux server is hard in itself but as an additional precaution i'd like to have the data encrypted. Currently I use WinSCP to transfer data to and from the server. Is there any way to have a similar interface except that parts of the data on the server are encrypted? -CProgrammer
Advertisement
Less abstraction. Encrypting files before transferring them to a server is easy. Decrypting them after transferring them from the server (provided you have the key and know the algorithm) is easy.

Where's the problem?
Well I suppose that approach would work but I dont want to implement the algorithm myself. Is there a good piece of software to do this? Something like WinSCP that automatically encrypts.
You could run truecrypt on the drive.
truecrypt sounds awesome thank you!
The only question I have is how this will work remotely. Truecrypt seems to be designed to encrypt on th local harddrive. I cant realistically download the entire encrypted file volume everytime I want to use it.

Quote:Original post by CProgrammer
Well I suppose that approach would work but I dont want to implement the algorithm myself. Is there a good piece of software to do this? Something like WinSCP that automatically encrypts.

I'd imagine so, yes. Google knows for sure.

Hrm, wikipedia even includes a list of implementations for a common algorithm...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement