What are the best Schools for game design in europe

Started by
3 comments, last by Gyrthok 15 years, 3 months ago
Google fails me on this one. I live in holland, and they have game design schools here, but they're not that impressive. im looking for good game design schools in europe, preferably close to the netherlands. I'd rather have nothing to do at all with programming or any hardware/technical education. just the design. not 3D modelling/animation/concept art, etc. I'm just saying this because too many times people thought i wanted to be a character 3d modeller, or something. all the schools i can find on the internet is in america. the VFS is probably great. too far though. thanks,
Advertisement
Personally, I'd say that not having any programming and artistic experience will hinder your abilities as a designer. If you can't prototype an idea, if you don't know what is artistically possible... it'll make a lot of things much harder. Getting experience will be difficult if you can't test your theories (which is a vital aspect of design, imho).

I've done a lot of level-design in my spare time and I've also built a variety of small games and prototypes. I've found that to be very educative. Not just because I learned some 'hard skills', but also because I got a lot of insight in the various areas that make up game-development, and because I learned various lessons about designing levels and games.

So, while I can't recommend any school to you, I do recommend getting your feet wet and your hands dirty. Design is tightly interwoven with production.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Try checking here, there's at least one link found in Europe (Germany specifically). Have you considered taking courses online?

I'd also have to agree with Captain P, having at least some experience in programming/art/music can help in Design by understanding their underlying elements and what their capable of.
don't get me wrong i can program. i am also thinking about visual art and sound, i just dont wan't an education in it. I like designing visual aspects, i just can't draw them.

anyway, thanks grythnok i'll take a look at the list.

no i haven't considered taking courses online. is that a good idea? and do you mean instead of schools or extra?
Quote:no i haven't considered taking courses online. is that a good idea? and do you mean instead of schools or extra?

I was merely curious if you'd considered it, as to whether its a good idea or not I differ to some of Tom Slopers famous articles, such as Lesson #3, Lession #25 and Lesson #34, they may prove useful in helping you make your decision.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement