3D Games - Some questions

Started by
3 comments, last by DELOCH 15 years, 4 months ago
I would like to ask some questions related to 3D game programming: please answer in general form that explains the programming technique. 1. How to make models move properly--> as in, is it possible to use the animation frames in the model as an animation resource? 2. How can models "wield" things: such as swords, guns, platemail, skirts, etc. 3. How do you add special effects: bright lights, red glow,animation glow(as model moves, red tracks remain for a second). 4. What is a method to move model that makes it look realistic(such as walking) yet not move exactly from tile to tile(which makes it look like it's teleporting from tile to tile) 5. what is the best method to add leveled terrain(mountains, uneven landscape) without ramming up a person's memory with unneeded information(such as off-view-objects). 6. What is a good method to represent a map? text file? bitmap? some-personal numerical format? 7. Is there a better method to loading and manipulating objects in Java other than a scene-graph? 8. How do most(if not all) MMORPGs (such as WOW, RS, or any others) add animations to the characters, add overlaying texturing(skin-tight armor), or add actual armor(mixing models into one)... 9. How are clients able to see all the other people around them if the server is only able to send and recieve strings therefore knows nothing about other clients. note, I am hoping to use Java (yes, many argue it's not good, though i ignore those arguments since runescape is made in java and it works perfectly fine) You don't have to answer all of the above, but if you can explain any, please do. Thanks ahead of time.
Advertisement
1/ I assume u mean animation (+ not moving around the screen) there are 2 main methods,A/ vertex blending, where each frame contains all the vertices of the mesh but in slightly different positions B/ use a skeleton, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeletal_animation

#B is more common nowadays

2/ just place a tag/node on the mesh (just like a vertice in the mesh see #1) but just dont draw it, instead use that to attach another mesh to eg a gun
What should I use to accomplish that?
http://lumina.sourceforge.net/Tutorials/Armature.html

gives a tutorial.
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);
Wait...

I can 'control' the model by exporting it to an object file which J3D can load without problems and then modify it by getting different named components(If I have named them)

However It's still hard to understand how to get skeleton out of it or use it...

or merging 'armor' with 'player' and then rotate/change components... this is still a mystery to me.

any clues?

[Edited by - DELOCH on December 24, 2008 12:25:30 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement