That Damned First GAME!

Started by
21 comments, last by Dragonion 12 years, 8 months ago
I just don''t know what to do for my first game! I thought Tetris would be great cause I read an article some where saying it is good to start with it, but I''ve been thinking about how to make it and it''s too damn complex! I''ve learned directx pretty well by now and have been just been pondering on what I should make for about two years now! I think I should get started but on WHAT? Hope you guys can help! Thanks!
Advertisement
To really understand how to put a game together, if your a beginner, you need a book to show you how, because websites in general will not go into detail about the nitty gritty of putting a game together. I suggest you buy the book "Tricks of the windows game programming guru", which will show you how to put everything together, or if you want a cheaper buy get a. lamothe''s older book windows game programming for dummies. Both will explain how to put together a game. good luck
bad!
First game I ever did was a little overhead shooter. Little ship on the bottom of the screen, and bad guys coming at you. You blast them and get points, or they blast you and you loose.

~Dan~
pong, its easy.

X4J
X4J
Try checking out THIS PAGE and seeing about the Interactive Tutorial going on here.

Then check out the forum itself at THIS PAGE

Happy Coding

BeS
It''s Da BOMB Baby!!!
. o O ~
A little nonsense now and then,
is relished by the wisest men
~ O o .
-- Willy Wonka
BeSIt's Da BOMB Baby!!!. o O ~ A little nonsense now and then,is relished by the wisest men~ O o .-- Willy Wonka
Hah! I got that Gurus book. It''s really good.

Pinch me... See if I''''m still asleep... *pinch* Owe! Mother f*****... Yep, you were still asleep.
Pinch me... See if I''m still asleep... *pinch* Owe! Mother f*****... Yep, you were still asleep.
Good first games are, in no real order:
Pac-Man
Space Invaders
Frogger
Missile Command
Qix

All pretty easy. My apologies to the copyright holders.
Well Now,

Theres a game missing of that List and thats Pong. My first game was Pong in Pascal. Then I made some text adventures before moving onto C/C++ then used some OpenGl made some demo''s in that and thats me so far. But Pong really got me started I would recommend it as a first game. Hey it might not teach you quite as much as tetris or need to be as graphical but when your new to it all and don''t have that much knowledge is simpler to start with. Then afterwards try to make games like snake or tetris...

STVOY

Pyre Light Studios (Under Construction)

Hi,

You can choose any game you want. I had seen a game in a video game, there were two people seprated by a cactus or something and all one had to do was escape the others bullet and shoot down the other person(2d), very simple to implement. Add scores etc to such a game. It could do well as a first game I think or you could do some space ship or space invader stuffs.
Hello from my world
My first game was Keno, my second was Blackjack. Before you ask, yes, I just got back from Vegas. They were both easy to make.

Mike
"Unintentional death of one civilian by the US is a tragedy; intentional slaughter of a million by Saddam - a statistic." - Unknown

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement