• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Copying a 2d array in c++

This topic is 3317 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello everybody, I'm having trouble passing a multidimensional array to a constructor of a class and saving that array in the class as a private member. I tried (where a2 is also Object* a2 [5][5]): Class::Class(Object* a1 [5][5]) { a2 = a1; } and Class::Class(Object* a1 [5][5]) { for(int i = 0; i <5; i++) for(int j = 0; j < 5; j++) a2[i][j] = a1[i][j]; } and various combinations. The second example compiles for me but when I do a a2[3][3] = new Object(); for example it doesnt modify the value that a1 points to. Is there any way to be able to recreate a 2d array so that a2 and a1 point to the same object? Thanks a lot for the help.

Advertisement
Use a struct, arrays are not first class objects in C++:

struct Array
{
Object *data[5][5];
};

class Class
{
Array array;

public:
Class(const Array &array)
:
array(array)
{
}
};

Quote:
but when I do a a2[3][3] = new Object(); for example it doesnt modify the value that a1 points to.

Of course not; each array has its own copy of the pointer value, and then you modify a2's copy of the pointer value (to point at a new object), while a1's copy still points to the same thing.

What are you really trying to do? C++ defaults to value semantics rather than reference semantics; this means (naive) copying is easy and sharing is hard. When you copy, you really make a copy, with its own identity.

Also, why would you have a fixed-sized grid of 5 by 5 arbitrary "objects"? What on earth does your program do?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement