What is your annual salary and what do you do?

Started by
14 comments, last by Prefect 15 years, 4 months ago
I'm just curious. I make 60K. EDIT: Signature removed by moderator. - jba. [Edited by - jbadams on December 21, 2008 6:51:01 AM]

Codeloader - Free games, stories, and articles!
If you stare at a computer for 5 minutes you might be a nerdneck!
https://www.codeloader.dev

Advertisement
And what do you do?

I earned 14k a year to go to school, now it's 35k in training, and then 45k to get shot at (as a cop). I don't get paid to play around with game dev stuff, but that's okay.

Quote:Original post by Nytegard
Salary information isn't exactly a polite subject to talk about.
I don't know. It's pretty dang useful for anyone just getting out of college, switching fields, or something of that nature. Quite a few companies these days are fairly open about the salaries they offer - though some still keep as many as possible in the dark and do some pretty intense haggling.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Quote:Original post by Avatar God
And what do you do?

I earned 14k a year to go to school, now it's 35k in training, and then 45k to get shot at (as a cop). I don't get paid to play around with game dev stuff, but that's okay.

Salary information isn't exactly a polite subject to talk about.
I don't know. It's pretty dang useful for anyone just getting out of college, switching fields, or something of that nature. Quite a few companies these days are fairly open about the salaries they offer - though some still keep as many as possible in the dark and do some pretty intense haggling.

But the question comes down to, what if the person who sat next to you made $40k more than you did, and had less experience? This does happen.

Outside of the fact that salaries are considered company confidential, and in many cases, could get you fired if you released such information (although will you be is different than if they have cause too)... You can easily find the information of what you should be earning based on public information about the field and area where you work.

That said, a person who makes $45k in Richardson, TX would need to make $140k around where I live to keep the same quality of life due to cost of living. Or $60,000 in Columbus Ohio would be roughly $190k here. However, if I stated I made $150k (this isn't my real salary, rather just an example salary), it could give a different impression to a person who doesn't take into consideration intangibles, than my real quality of life.

*EDIT*
Due to my deletion of the previous post:

By job title I'm a Software Engineer.
I make $0 / year and I am a full time student.

Even Steve Jobs gets paid more then I do.
Looking at my recent statements, I average between a 2:1 and 3:1 income-to-expense ratio depending on how much random junk I buy (or don't). I am personally quite satisfied with this. I'm not really comfortable talking about my exact salary though.

I'm a senior engineer at a medium sized game development studio.
I live in Australia:

I have accepted a job in an industrial town doing SAP for when i finish my university degree (Software Engineering) and the annual salary is $58,000 a year but that includes %14 superannuation so that brings it down to $49,880 a year. You can change the superannuation s that its 9% instead (minimum allowable in Australia) which I might do.

Thats first year SAP which is pretty farkin good. My brother is in SAP and its boring shitty work (no one wants to do it) but pays well when u really get into it.
But the question comes down to, what if the person who sat next to you made $40k more than you did, and had less experience? This does happen.
Frankly, I'd consider finding new employment.

And, yeah, location does make a huge difference in considering pay.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
I earn, a little to strong a word there :), what would be $4500(£3000) a year; yeah bums don't get a lot :)

But I like to think I'm doing my little bit to keep inflation in check; aomeone has to be unemployed after all, otherwise you would very quick find that your $150k would not be enough even in Richardson.
Innovation not reiterationIf at any point I look as if I know what I'm doing don't worry it was probably an accident.
Quote:Original post by francoispress
I'm just curious. I make 60K.
You're bordering on spam with this one...

As a general guideline the following should apply if you're going to post in the lounge:
  1. Your post should be longer than your signature. Preferably significantly so, with at least a paragraph of actual content.

2. Your post should include some of your own opinion or your own answer to questions; in this case a few details on "what you do" might have made your post a bit more acceptable.

3. Your post should be something that is or may be of interest to the community.

1 and 2 do not apply in the case of this thread: don't make it a habit.

- Jason Astle-Adams

My annual income is around 65K. I'm 23 and my main job is software project management, but I have other sources of income.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement