My own. Ocarina of Time?

Started by
5 comments, last by steveworks 15 years, 4 months ago
Well I am trying to set goals at the moment. What am I aiming to do over a period of time or what am I shooting for? As a very long term goal (say 5-6 years from now.) I would like to know if it is actually possible for a single person (with some help for artwork and sound) could make a single dungeon that is similar to that of zelda: Ocarina of Time. I know it would probably be extremely difficult. All I would like to know if it would be at all possible.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Exercise, eat right and be the best you can be!Translation: Play video games for finger streangth and eat lots of hot pockets to be at top programming efficiency.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by steveworks
Well I am trying to set goals at the moment. What am I aiming to do over a period of time or what am I shooting for? As a very long term goal (say 5-6 years from now.) I would like to know if it is actually possible for a single person (with some help for artwork and sound) could make a single dungeon that is similar to that of zelda: Ocarina of Time.

I know it would probably be extremely difficult. All I would like to know if it would be at all possible.
Yes. And it really has more to do with your attitude than anything else. If you are determined to do it, and you have the right attitude, there is no reason why you couldn't do a hell of a lot more than that, and it won't take that many years.

There are several ways to go about it. You will need several skills.

Programming: This depends on if you want to do it from scratch, or use a game making application, or other things that can make the task easier on you.

3D Modeling: You will have to know how to animate all your characters and make a nice dungeon. I recommend picking up Blender and starting to learn it. It has everything you need to make your assets.
I am currently average in python programming. I plan on getting better. For now I am learning pygame with the intent to eventually learn to use panda3D and to make 3D Modles. There will be lots of little steps but as I keep hearing. Just keep doing projects one step bigger than the last. :)

Last question. What is blender and how long could it take to learn to use it to a decent level?

Thank you for the replies.

[Edited by - steveworks on December 20, 2008 10:15:22 PM]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Exercise, eat right and be the best you can be!Translation: Play video games for finger streangth and eat lots of hot pockets to be at top programming efficiency.
I am currently average in python programming. I plan on getting better. For now I am learning pygame with the intent to eventually learn to use panda3D and to make 3D Modles. There will be lots of little steps but as I keep hearing. Just keep doing projects one step bigger than the last. :)

Last question. What is blender?
This.

There you go. Python Panda3D and Blender will take you far.

Thank you for the link. I think once I am proficient in 2D with Pygame I will learn to do 3D.

Well I am trying to set goals at the moment. What am I aiming to do over a period of time or what am I shooting for? As a very long term goal (say 5-6 years from now.) I would like to know if it is actually possible for a single person (with some help for artwork and sound) could make a single dungeon that is similar to that of zelda: Ocarina of Time.

I know it would probably be extremely difficult. All I would like to know if it would be at all possible.

I see no reason why you can't do that and in 5 - 6 years I'd be disappointed if you didn't at the very least do that and then some.
Remember Codeka is my alternate account, just remember that!
Thank you everyone for all the help. :) I really appreciate it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement