The Iso3D Project

Started by
25 comments, last by Dino 22 years, 9 months ago
As Tanstaafl mentioned in a previous post, Tanstaafl and myself are working on 3D engines for a standard tile based map engine. As he also mentioned, I am working with OpenGL to build this engine. There is an executable available for download. The files for this project can be downloaded from: www.chosendestiny.com/files. The files that you will NEED are: Iso3D.exe texture0.bmp texture1.bmp readme.txt (tells you all about Iso3D) You will also need glut32.dll on your system. It can be obtained from www.opengl.com. Bricks.zip is a zip file containing some textures that I am borrowing. I do not own these files so don''t ask to borrow them for your game. I mention where bricks.zip came from in the readme.txt. Right now I''m more worried about implementation than speed so please take that into consideration when running the demo. I am very new to OpenGL and 3D programming (about a week now) so give me a break if the code is a bit slow. Happy downloading and I''ll update this post whenever I upload a new .exe with any major changes.
Dino M. Gambone Good judgement is gained through experience. Experience, however, is gained through bad judgement.

Dino M. Gambone
Good judgment is gained through experience. Experience, however, is gained through bad judgment.

Currently working on Rise of Praxis MUD: http://www.riseofpraxis.net/

Advertisement
I''m getting an access violation when I run it. I passed it on to the VC debugger, but it froze. Ctrl-Alt-Delete->End Task on the demo freed up the debugger and gave me 100 or so lines of this message:

First-chance exception in Iso3D.exe (GLUT32.DLL): 0xC0000005: Access Violation

I know my Glut dll is working fine with other progs, so I have no idea what this is about.

BTW, I''ve been inspired lately by all the hoozah in this forum and have also started experimenting with a GL tile engine. I''d love to compare notes sometime

Mike
Tried running it on mine and got 2 memory could not be written errors, then an unknown exception.

-Mod
----------------------
Modian
Are other people having this crash problem too? Is anyone running it successfully?

Dino M. Gambone
Good judgement is gained through experience. Experience, however, is gained through bad judgement.

Dino M. Gambone
Good judgment is gained through experience. Experience, however, is gained through bad judgment.

It worked fine on mine. I have a GeForce2 MX

Ben
http://therabbithole.redback.inficad.com
Worked perfectly on my PIII800/128/GeForce2 GTSpro
Crash on my system:

Athlon 900
Windows 2000
NVidia Vanta (16 MB)

Dino, I''m in the design process of an 3D tile engine. I''ve had no previous problems with OpenGL in my system, with my tests or other programs. It appears to be crashing somewhere in the initialization.
I''m willing to try to help track down this problem.

Gaiomard Dragon
-===(UDIC)===-
Gaiomard Dragon-===(UDIC)===-
Doh,

afraid i get error''s

Iso3D has caused an error in GLUT32.DLL

1.3ghz Dell.
ATI radeon 32 ddr

Cheers

Mark

Crashed on my system. Access Violation in GLUT32.DLL

K6-500, 256 mb ram, GeForce2MX 32mb
There is a new build of Iso3D.exe. I think this will take care of the crashing problem since I''m dropping all references to GLUT32.DLL. I think that was the issue.

I also was able to get more FPS as I find out what little things can slow down OpenGL rendering. Instead of rendering 1 square (GL_QUADS) for the tile top, I''m rendering 2 triangles (GL_TRIANGLES). It picked up performance about 10%.

Give the program a try and let me know.

For the next build:
Lock the viewing angle at 45° X and 45° Z.
Add walls and torches.

Dino M. Gambone
Good judgement is gained through experience. Experience, however, is gained through bad judgement.

Dino M. Gambone

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement