Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Free Good 3D engines

This topic is 6015 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, my dev team is searching for a good 3d engine that we can build ontop of to have more supportive features for a game, if you know of a good 3d engine thats free could you please post a reply under this topic. Eric Wright o0Programmer0o AcidRain Productions http://www.acidrainproductions.com

Check out The Nebula Device at www.radonlabs.de
It''s a free 3D engine developed by Radon Labs. The company is developin the engine for their next game Nomads, but they are distributing the engine for absolutely free.

Quake 2!

id distributes it free now under the GPL (?) license. It was such a good engine in its day; I just hope everyone is not so hung up on graphics nowadays that they can''t still see the beauty of the quake 2 engine.

You can download all the source and dev tools from id''s home page.

id never released the Quake 2 engine source code. They released the Quake 1 engine source. I dont know if they plan on releasing the Q2 source but the only Q2 source you can download is the game dll code, not the engine.

-SirKnight

quote:
Original post by SirKnight
id never released the Quake 2 engine source code. They released the Quake 1 engine source. I dont know if they plan on releasing the Q2 source but the only Q2 source you can download is the game dll code, not the engine.

And there''s a damn lot thats been done with the Quake1 engine, putting it ahead in both features, eyecandy, and speed of other engines Ive seen around.

I always thought the q2 dll was the engine and the executable was the actual game. That''s how mods are done for this game I thought. I thought the gamer would modify the dll (the engine) so that the game performed differently

I might be wrong..

Guest Anonymous Poster
I always thought the q2 dll was the engine and the executable was the actual game. That''s how mods are done for this game I thought. I thought the gamer would modify the dll (the engine) so that the game performed differently

I might be wrong..

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster

Sarcasm? or genuine?

The q2 dll contains all the quake2 game logic, whilst the executable is the engine which links to the game dll at runtime to become playable.

Anonymous:

Engine, generally, means the core components required to use the game.
Things such as graphics displaying, network code, input, and sound code
are considered the engine. The GAME part is what handles weapons, physics(well,
sometimes that can be considered part of the engine as well), interaction, etc...

-Hyatus
"da da da"