Free Good 3D engines

Started by
11 comments, last by KingsRevenge 22 years, 10 months ago
Hi, my dev team is searching for a good 3d engine that we can build ontop of to have more supportive features for a game, if you know of a good 3d engine thats free could you please post a reply under this topic. Eric Wright o0Programmer0o AcidRain Productions http://www.acidrainproductions.com
Eric Wright o0Programmer0o
Advertisement
Check out The Nebula Device at www.radonlabs.de
It''s a free 3D engine developed by Radon Labs. The company is developin the engine for their next game Nomads, but they are distributing the engine for absolutely free.
Quake 2!

id distributes it free now under the GPL (?) license. It was such a good engine in its day; I just hope everyone is not so hung up on graphics nowadays that they can''t still see the beauty of the quake 2 engine.

You can download all the source and dev tools from id''s home page.
GSACP: GameDev Society Against Crap PostingTo join: Put these lines in your signature and don't post crap!
crystal space 3d isn''t bad.

HHSDrum@yahoo.com
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
id never released the Quake 2 engine source code. They released the Quake 1 engine source. I dont know if they plan on releasing the Q2 source but the only Q2 source you can download is the game dll code, not the engine.

-SirKnight
Thanks for the replys.

AcidRain Productions
http://www.acidrainproductions.com
quote:Original post by SirKnight
id never released the Quake 2 engine source code. They released the Quake 1 engine source. I dont know if they plan on releasing the Q2 source but the only Q2 source you can download is the game dll code, not the engine.

And there''s a damn lot thats been done with the Quake1 engine, putting it ahead in both features, eyecandy, and speed of other engines Ive seen around.
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
I always thought the q2 dll was the engine and the executable was the actual game. That''s how mods are done for this game I thought. I thought the gamer would modify the dll (the engine) so that the game performed differently

I might be wrong..
I always thought the q2 dll was the engine and the executable was the actual game. That''s how mods are done for this game I thought. I thought the gamer would modify the dll (the engine) so that the game performed differently

I might be wrong..
The Nebula Device is very cool. It''s a little lacking on documentation right now, but it''s getting better as people have starting writing tutorials and such.

...A CRPG in development...

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement