only one function as friend

Started by
10 comments, last by VanillaSnake21 15 years, 4 months ago
Really quick question, lets say I have two classes can I allow Class1 to access only 1 private function of Class2

You didn't come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are not a stranger here. -Alan Watts

Advertisement
Like this?

http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/friends.html
Quote:Original post by alnite
Like this?

http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial/friends.html

I had something else in mind. In those examples one function is given access to the entire class, what I want to do is give one class access to only one function of another class.

So
class A{public:void foo( b.boo() );private:B b;};class B{private:void boo();};

You didn't come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are not a stranger here. -Alan Watts

AFAIK it isn't possible to restrict the export to a single function by using the friend keyword. The only way I see is to export an intermediate object especially for accessing the funtion of interest. However, I doubt that it is worth the effort (but perhaps it is; the OP hasn't told about the reasoning of wanting to do so).
This could do:

int function1(void);class a{public:        class{        private:                friend int function1(void);                int operator(int c);        }function2;private:        int function3(void);};int function1(void){        static a instance;        return instance.function2(77);}
@ville-v
That look like a good solution but it's way too tangled. Anyways it looks like theres no clean way of doing this. I'll just declare the whole class as a friend and save myself the trouble of sifting through spaghetti code later on. Thanks for the help )

Quote:Original post by VanillaSnake21
Anyways it looks like theres no clean way of doing this. I'll just declare the whole class as a friend and save myself the trouble of sifting through spaghetti code later on. Thanks for the help )
Why does this class need to access a function that isn't part of the other class' public interface? In general, that sounds like a problem with your design.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Every once and a while I have something like this happen. I've had a couple methods that only one other class should call.
I usually just make the entire class a friend. If a class knows enough about another class to be friends with one of its methods, then it knows enough to be a friend with the entire class.
Quote:Original post by swiftcoder
Why does this class need to access a function that isn't part of the other class' public interface? In general, that sounds like a problem with your design.

One class is called Engine the other class is called Time.
Time class can be owned by any of the Engine subsystems and what it does is it keeps the time since the engine was started (so I can sync all the subsystems). Time class has a functino CallOnCreation(), that should be called in the Engines's constructor. But I don't want that function to be called by any other subsystem (since it will offset the time) So I made the function private and made the Engine class a friend of time class. It's not really a big deal, I'm just trying to be overprotective. BTW If anyone has any suggestions on how I can improve this design let me know.

To be more precise here's a simplified example,

class Time{public:long GetTimeSinceCreation() { return timeGetTime() - m_CreationTime; }private:void CallOnCreation() { m_CreationTime = timeGetTime(); }static long m_CreationTime;friend class Engine;};Engine{public:Engine() { m_EngineTime.CallOnCreation(); }private:Time m_EngineTime;Subsystem WindowManager;Subsystem Input;// more subsystems};class WindowManager{private:Time m_EngineTime;};class Input{private:Time m_EngineTime;};

What you have here is basically a monostate, and monostates are basically globals hiding under another name. That is not to say they are always a bad thing, but they should be treated with care.

In your particular case, why are all the subsystems running on global time? What happens if you need to pause the game at a menu, but animate menu transitions? Or if you want to perform slow-motion/bullet-time effects? Things like these would be much easier if subsystems could be allocated different timers...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement