• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

I know how to make a WorldToTangentSpace matrix, but how do I get Tangent to World?

This topic is 3351 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have a vertex shader in which I use a 3x3 matrix to transform from World to Tangent space. It looks like this: float3x3 WorldToTangentSpace; WorldToTangentSpace[0] = float3(0.0f, 0.0f, -1.0f); WorldToTangentSpace[1] = float3(0.0f, -1.0f, 0.0f); WorldToTangentSpace[2] = Normal; And then to transform from World to Tangent space I do this: float3 TangentVector = mul(WorldToTangentSpace, WorldVector); It works correctly. But what if I want to do the opposite, transform from Tangent Space to World Space? Do I reverse the multiplication, like this: float3 WorldVector = mul(TangentVector, WorldToTangentSpace); Or must I create a new (inverted) matrix? What is the correct math to do this? Peter

Advertisement
You need to solve a system of linear equations. One conceptually simple way of doing that is by inverting the matrix.

If x and b are column vectors and A is a matrix, you want to solve

A * x = b

Multiplyng by inv(A) on the left of both sides of the equation you get

x = inv(A) * b

When your matrix is rotations and reflections, the inverse matrix is the matrix transpose. If you think about it a little, that's not too hard to see. The key is that rotations preserve orthogonality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthogonal_matrix

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement