Drawing charachters problems

Started by
1 comment, last by sunandshadow 15 years, 4 months ago
Hi guys, oviously I have found all the recourses posted hear on GD and seachered around looking for help in drawing chachaters. I really wanting to be able to draw concept art and front-side-back views (cant remember the name given to that :D) for my games to then model 3D charachters around. I know the main thing to do is practice, and theres no shortcut and Im not looking for one. However I have a few issues that dont really really seems to be elaborated on in any of the resources I can find. Firstly is my problem with proportions. When drawing simple front on views I can never get the arms of torso or legs to get into the right proportions. I can draw on grid lines based on the size of the head, and use them as a guide, but I never see in online vids etc people doing that?? I assume this just comes with practise? Now even if I do use guide line based on head size, the are still issues when I put my charachter in to a pose and my proportions can go horibly wrong. All of this is still based on a simple skelital-line sketch. I actually am finding the fleshing out stage not to hard (Biology from school pays of :D). Does anyone have any exercises or drills I could do that would help get my proportions better or online tutorials that specifically deal with this sort of thing in depth. Also following on from chachachters in poses is forshortining applicable to concept sketchs. I cant really draw any sort of guide lines as it all depends on angles of limbs etc. I ask if there are any recourses that deal with this specifically, but I imagine this really will be alot of practise and looking around to see what limbs look like are angles in images and real life. Any info would be really helpfull guys, thanks alot :D.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Genesiiis
...front-side-back views (cant remember the name given to that :D)...

Character turnarounds?

Quote:Firstly is my problem with proportions. When drawing simple front on views I can never get the arms of torso or legs to get into the right proportions. I can draw on grid lines based on the size of the head, and use them as a guide, but I never see in online vids etc people doing that?? I assume this just comes with practise?

Practice, yes, but also a fundamental knowledge of anatomy. Being able to see the underlying skeletal and muscular structures helps with drawing characters, and also to see the limits of pose. It's hard work to develop, but with diligent study and exercise, it comes eventually. Practice pose, proportion and perspective.
Another name for them is character model sheets. Here are two collections of such sheets to use as proportion references:
Catsuka: Gengal (In French but organized very nicely by series name
Anime Model Sheets

And my Deviant Art gallery contains a few tutorials I made if you are interested in anime/comic style characters. Mostly male, probably I should add some female ones at some point...

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement