• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Trence666

Come Help Me Please! Need Information!

This topic is 3585 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am 14 trying to become a computer programmer, I read a lot of pages on C++ Compilers, I basically know the basics, I would like somebody to help me if they had the time to further understand game programming and how to make a small game for me the practice on new experiments ect. I would like to learn codes and such, and I am willing to learn a lot more because as I understand game programming takes a lot of skill practice and mathematics. Please PM Me or anything if you can help me with this matter.

Advertisement
Hey try getting tutorials off the internet and buy some paper back books. This is the best way to learn, at least for me. I recommend Beginning C++ Game Programming by Michael Dawson, It helped me and it starts from the ground up. Has some great examples. It's much easier to learn from book/tutorials and then trying the examples in the book than asking someone to teach you from the ground up. Also there are some great workshops at the bottom of the forums that might help you.
PS. In thread title, don't put "please help me" put what you need help with otherwise people won't bother with the thread.
Hope that helps and good luck!

~Mutton

C++ is generally a sub-optimal choice for a first language. I would recommend that you look into Python. Not only is Python a more suitable introduction to the discipline of programming, it will scale quite well with your experience, and additionally that site I linked contains pretty much everything you need to get started -- the appropriate toolchain, as well as reference material and introductory guides under the "Documentation" section.

It will save you from having to actually buy anything, as well.

Hi I have been learning c++ for over a year now and have been really enjoying it, I thought I would also have a look at the games side of things and found that that side of programming was much more complicated than what I had learnt.
My point is I think from my point of view is that you should get a good sound knowledge of programming before you attempt to program games but this just my opinion everyone does things different.

Hope this helps

Well if your not looking to spend money online tuts are free. But my best advice is to spend at least $20 for a good programming book.

i'm not gonna argue languages, so c++ and game programming in 3 steps

1)Download a compiler, turns c++ code into a run-able program
Visual C++ - Best Free Compiler and IDE

2)learn c++, 2 great sites CPlusPlus.com
and CProgramming.com

3)once you've gotten really comfortable with C++(at least a few months, and every single tutorial on both those sites, no exception), then you need to learn to draw graphics, for this, a great site is Lazy Foo

follow these 3 steps, and don't skip through the tutorials without paying attention, and you will be well one your way to creating games

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!