• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jor1980

Compression of files h 7

This topic is 3498 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi i am thinking about something i saw in a game,their files are made of compressed chunks,I saw that the game can use this files with the chunks compressed or not indistinctly.This chunks open with hex editor begins with .H7. Anybody coul tell me which is this method of compression, how it works and which are their advantages.

Advertisement
The file extension doesn't mean anything. It's impossible to say what type of compression is used without examining the compressed data - and remember that there's no reason it couldn't be encrypted too.

H 7 is not the file extension, it is the first bytes of the every chunk, after this four bytes comes another four that is the length of the chunk uncompressed,
Here i give you a picture to show it.Anyone know wich is the compressor?
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us<br/>

Quote:
Original post by jor1980
H 7 is not the file extension, it is the first bytes of the every chunk, after this four bytes comes another four that is the length of the chunk uncompressed,
Here i give you a picture to show it.Anyone know wich is the compressor?
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
It could still be anything. Compressed data doesn't have to start with anything in particular, it could be some custom compression, or it could be encrypted. There's pretty much no way to tell without disassembling the game - which is probably against it's EULA.

EDIT: Although I can tell you that what follows those bytes is some sort of header - not compressed data, there's too many zero bytes.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!