• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Lovens

Migration to Visual Studio 2008

This topic is 3587 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm currently working on a project in C# 2.0 (with .NET 2.0) and Managed Direct X. After the hollidays I was thinking of migrating from Visual Studio 2005 to Visual Studio 2008. I've read that you can target the right .NET version but will my C# 2.0 code be compatible with the C# compiler, I presume it's C# 3.0 right? Is it fully backward compatible? And also is it wize to switch IDE in the middle of a project? If you have "nightmare" stories to share please do so. Thanks in advance! Lovens

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Lovens
And also is it wize to switch IDE in the middle of a project? If you have "nightmare" stories to share please do so.

I just did, and suffered no worse for the wear. I have a project at work that we were trying to improve load times on. It was originally a .Net 2.0 project done in Visual Studio 2005, but we found that upgrading to .Net 3.0 and 2008 gave us a "free" 19% speed bump! The upgrade literally took all of 3 minutes, and we've been humming along nicely ever since.

Of course, You don't have to move to .Net 3.0 with 2008 (your .Net version is just a drop down in the project settings) but honestly, there's not much reason to migrate if you're planning to stick to 2.0. And yes, 3.0 (and 3.5) are fully backwards compatible with 2.0. I made no code changes whatsoever during my upgrade.

Quote:
Original post by Toji

I just did, and suffered no worse for the wear. I have a project at work that we were trying to improve load times on. It was originally a .Net 2.0 project done in Visual Studio 2005, but we found that upgrading to .Net 3.0 and 2008 gave us a "free" 19% speed bump! The upgrade literally took all of 3 minutes, and we've been humming along nicely ever since.

Of course, You don't have to move to .Net 3.0 with 2008 (your .Net version is just a drop down in the project settings) but honestly, there's not much reason to migrate if you're planning to stick to 2.0. And yes, 3.0 (and 3.5) are fully backwards compatible with 2.0. I made no code changes whatsoever during my upgrade.

Ok if no code change is needed then it's exactly what I wanted. Thanks alot...

Lovens

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!