• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
gpuchallenge

The $10K GPU Challenge

This topic is 3568 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello All, Just wanted to let you know about a contest my company is having for Game Developers. The contest is to develop a GPU based grid viewer. We are offering prizes of $5,000, $3,000, $1,000 and two Ipod Touches. One of the primary objectives is to find an appropriate developer or developers that our company would hire full time. For more details checkout our website at http://gpuchallenge.com/. Thanks!!!

Advertisement
Hi!

I've read your website, so basically you want to read a text file, and populate some grid with the data like excel would do, with possibility of sorting/inserting/removing data and everything with nice colors and ability to move everything as you please easily and rapidly. Is that all?

I'm wondering why would you want to use DirectX for that, since it can be done very easily in a simple .NET windows application and controls for these kind of grids already exists. Bringing DirectX into that can make things prettier, but so would another application like Flash. DirectX would not be really faster since actions done on the grid would actually be done on a linked list by the CPU anyway. One could always try to accelerate it with shaders though..

Too bad you ask for DirectX9, or else I would simply make some minors modifications to my DirectX10 engine and shoot it. I could create a new DirectX9 application, it wouldn't take long but I'm feeling as if I'm missing something, because rendering a few columns filled with data isn't hard.

I'm a bit confused, what is the primary challenge of the task that you are interested in seeing? The speed of the sorted listview implementation? Or the programmer's graphics programming abilities?

Is this legit? If so you need to do some work on your website. I am able to enter "spam" into everything near enough and the form is validated, the best is
"I have read and agree to the challenge details and the terms and conditions of the $10K GPU Challenge."
I answered no and the form was still validated, FAIL. Also why are you hiding the company details and not forthcoming about them?

CmpDev : bad form validation don't mean it's not legit. There's enough work put into the website to look legit to me. And, you also have the company address, just not the name.

Anyway, I think what they are looking for is using CUDA for using the GPU to accelerate this kind of data instead of using DirectX who is usually used to accelerate rendering. Maybe they should have looked better at the technologies available before starting a contest.

Maybe so but answering no the accepting the terms and conditions and it being validated is a fail.
Quote:
And, you also have the company address, just not the name.
So which studio is located at 19 west 24th street?

The reason I wanted to know the company is that they say "As you go through the process of registering and submitting your entries you will learn more about the company." This just sounds a little suspect to me, but maybe that is just me.

Quote:
Original post by CmpDev
Is this legit? If so you need to do some work on your website. I am able to enter "spam" into everything near enough and the form is validated, the best is
"I have read and agree to the challenge details and the terms and conditions of the $10K GPU Challenge."
I answered no and the form was still validated, FAIL. Also why are you hiding the company details and not forthcoming about them?

This contest is indeed legit. While the form may validate. Your entry would not be accepted. I did receive a registration from "Mister Spam". However, you are only entitled one entry per IP address. So if Mister spam would like to re-register with proper credentials, please do so from a different machine.

Our company is located at the address in the Terms and Conditions. We are an market data software company that is looking into building new systems and proprietary applications that would use game technology. We are very interested in working with the GPU to achieve faster performance and response time. As stated above, one of our primary objectives is to find an appropriate developer or developers that we would hire full time.

We consider this project to be somewhat sensitive and we want to keep our firm's name from too much exposure. However, entries to the contest will receive more information about us throughout the contest.

[Edited by - gpuchallenge on December 22, 2008 3:45:37 PM]

Quote:
Original post by gpuchallenge
We are very interested in working with the GPU to achieve faster performance and response time.

With this sentence alone, as I stated before, you should look into CUDA instead of DirectX. Performance gain would be much much greater, instead of just being a normal grid application using the video card as a renderer.

A google search turned up these guys: www.gamelab.com

Personally, I wouldn't even consider a job offer from a company that isn't going to even tell you it's name up front. My google search above tells you why: I can find out anyway, what are you so afraid of?

Quote:
Original post by Dunge
CmpDev : bad form validation don't mean it's not legit. There's enough work put into the website to look legit to me. And, you also have the company address, just not the name.

Anyway, I think what they are looking for is using CUDA for using the GPU to accelerate this kind of data instead of using DirectX who is usually used to accelerate rendering. Maybe they should have looked better at the technologies available before starting a contest.

DirectX9 is our development target since we would not like to require vista as the only supported OS. Unfortunately .NET and flash does not offer the fine enough level of control, nor would it demonstrate DirectX prowess which we are seeking to expose. Thank you, we have examined the available technologies and a CUDA parallel sorting algorithm is not what this challenge is targeting.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!