The $10K GPU Challenge

Started by
20 comments, last by gpuchallenge 15 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by Funkymunky
I'm a bit confused, what is the primary challenge of the task that you are interested in seeing? The speed of the sorted listview implementation? Or the programmer's graphics programming abilities?

Succinctly the primary challenge is a low latency, efficient, clean and extensible control implementation, written by a developer with a passion to pursue cutting edge control developement leveraging GPU acceleration technology.
Advertisement
that all makes sense until you throw in the part about the GPU, since you've stated that you are not interested in us using the parallel processing power of the card. (right?) so... do you just want to see creative and colorful window skinning?

I'm interested in your contest, but find your terms a little strange and disjointed
Quote:Original post by Funkymunky

I'm interested in your contest, but find your terms a little strange and disjointed

Hello All,

Thanks for the questions and comments about the $10K GPU Challenge. We have put up a FAQ on the contest site to shed light on some of the requirements and concerns.

Please visit: http://gpuchallenge.com/frequently-asked-questions.html

If you have a more specific questions, please do not hesitate to email us at info@gpuchallenge.com

Thanks and Happy Holidays!!! Looking forward to your entries.
Quote:Original post by Codeka
A google search turned up these guys: www.gamelab.com

Personally, I wouldn't even consider a job offer from a company that isn't going to even tell you it's name up front. My google search above tells you why: I can find out anyway, what are you so afraid of?

We are not Game Lab. Please read over the FAQ on the contest website. Thanks for your interest.
Quote:Original post by Codeka
Personally, I wouldn't even consider a job offer from a company that isn't going to even tell you it's name up front. My google search above tells you why: I can find out anyway, what are you so afraid of?

I agree. I'm trying to think of why a company would feel the need to be so covert about a project that really does not need seem to need all this secrecy.

Until I am disabused of my opinion, this seems like a paranoid business. Not one worth seeking out...

Hello Everybody. Thanks for your comments. Just wanted to let everyone know that we made some changes to the contest website including revealing our identity and why we are sponsoring this contest. We also opened up the contest to CUDA after many suggestions and further research. I hope the challenge details are more clear. Looking forward to your submissions.

http://gpuchallenge.com

Thanks!
The challenge still makes no sense to me. Why would someone make a GPU based grid viewer program? I have never had any problems with Excel or OpenOffice.org Calc, the GUI of both programs are fast and responsive. A Direct3D based GUI would need to be extremely polished to show nearly the same copy/paste, drag/drop, right click,... behavior as standard GUI, and this is something I expect from a professional office application. Direct3D seems to me like the harder way to archive the same result. I don't think the performance gain would be noticeable.

The rendering quality is another important aspect. Do you expect the develops to use bitmap fonts for better performance or to use something like cairo/anti-grain/(maybe fancy shaders) for high quality text rendering with subpixel accuracy? If it is the later, I wouldn't expect anything faster that non GPU-Based rendering.

There are also no information on where the application is expected to reads the data from and what format the data will have. A sample data file could be helpful for developing and testing. How much data does the application need to handle? Is one allowed to use other free/non-free libraries?

I recommend everyone who wants to participate, reading the rules carefully:
Quote:Contest Rules
a. GPUCHALLENGE.COM does not claim ownership of your contributions to the contest in form of sample code, content, videos, articles or any other contributions you submit to us. By submitting your contributions, you are granting GPUCHALLENGE.COM and its affiliated companies the following worldwide, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, unconditional, fully paid-up rights: (1) to make, have made, use, copy, reproduce, modify, and create derivative works of the contributions, (2) to publicly perform or display, import, broadcast, transmit, distribute (directly and indirectly through multiple tiers), license, offer to sell and sell, rent, lease, or lend copies of the contributions (and derivative works thereof), (3) to sublicense to third parties the foregoing rights, including the right to sublicense to further third parties, and (4) to publish your name or alias in connection with this contest and your contributions.

EDIT:
Some more questions:
Quote:Your entry must be a stable grid viewer program that can read the provided ASCII data set and simultaneously display all the fields in the data set.

Does this mean that the application must fit everything on one page? (no scroll bars)
Quote:...removal and addition to the displayed set should be expected...

Should the application let the user edit fields manually or watch the input file for changes and update the data automatically?
Quote:Develop a GPU-based market data grid viewer program using DirectX ...

Do you mean Direct3D or DirectDraw? Is the programming language important? May one use XNA, WPF or SlimDX? (Why not OpenGL?)

[Edited by - Kambiz on January 9, 2009 7:38:26 AM]
What we are looking for is a Market Data Grid. Please look at the updated Challenge details here http://gpuchallenge.com/challenge-details.html

There is a PDF download with the example data and if you choose to register you will be given a link to a download the actual datagen.

Thanks,

The GPU Challenge Team!!!
Interesting challenge - I see why excel wont cut it after looking into the challenge desc and reading the data rates. Seems like the winning ticket is a cuda kernel sort with cuda driver space text rendering...

$Check please$
No offense, but it looks like this company is simply trying to get software developed for them (to sell?) on the cheap ($10k is cheap). Their entire site smells like a bad infomercial.

It's a weird "job application", enticing applicants with money and prizes. Except you have to develop software for them before you even get an interview ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement