• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Universal Warfare

This topic is 3342 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Title:Universal Warfare Game type:MMOPG Unique ideas:Set in futuristic alternate reality with realtime effects and storylines.. When you first start up the game you are given a choice of 4 planets. One of which would be earth obviously =D You can then do quests and objectives much like most mmopgs..When you become a higher rank and become elite you can start traveling to the other worlds doing other quests on enemies planets like poisoning water and assassinating political powers. This will effect the other players and it means the whole game is connected and each player has a role to play. Also the storyline will never stop and it will evolve like the real world. The devolper will continue to add stuff to the game everyweek and even natural diasters. Realtime Diasters On the local news channels which can be accessed through a personal on board computer, they will see a urgent news bulletin 'Deadly missile heading towards earth'..THERE WILL BE PLENTY OF TIME FOR PLAYERS..It will be upto the player's on that planet to prevent this diaster happening.If they fail everyone on the planet will see the missle coming from the sky just like in reallife and will see a huge explosion in the distance. When players go and investigate they beloved city or town may be half destroyed and it is up to the players to rebuild it by doing quests like bringing building supplies to the town in return for experience. Transport If players choose to they can choose to be an engineer and they can build spacecrafs and spacepods.These can be sold on the auction house and can be used like horses and wolves in traditional mmopgs to travel around the maps.They can also be used to get to other planets. There will also be large transport ships that can be used only on a set course to other planets. I know this may sound a little complicated but its very hard to explain using words.. These are some problems i need you to solve =D -This seems abit complicated and relies on the players to choose there fate.There needs to be a way to make sure it doesn't rely to much on the players -Is it technoligicly possibly to add diasters instantly in realtime which thousands of players can all see at once?If so would it be through updates or firmware ect - Do you think making a game like this with all the risks of creating something different could ever pay off? -Is it financally possible for a new dev? Any crits are welcome (i will try to update this post as my ideas develop as its abit messy atm.. [Edited by - digital-reality on December 23, 2008 1:01:58 AM]

Advertisement
You didn't describe how do you keep all the cities on a planets from getting completely destroyed, or to prevent (or whether you prevent) a planet from completely dominating over the other planets while keeping it interesting for all sides.

I see two problems.

1. Unsuspecting player would be hit by missile, and scream murder.
2. It's a MMO, and market is overcrowded. (add into it an economical downfall...)

I quite like the idea of disasters, but I don't fully understand how it would work in your idea. Is the quest of saving the world assigned to one player? Because surely if that is the case, and that person isn't on, is a bit of an idiot or just genuinely fails, does that screw the game up for everyone else. If it does, the game will suck, if it doesn't it doesn't really serve much point. Every time someone fails a quest, you get an animation in your screen. Err... great?

What could work better is if the worlds acted independently. They could trade, and you might be able to travel between them, but you really belong to one planet and that is where your loyalties lie. Then, when some natural disaster is about to occur on your home planet, everyone from your planet would also be given the quest to save your world. Maybe, you would have to work together. If you failed, everyone would have harder quests, less loot for a little while.

Quote:
Original post by thk123
I quite like the idea of disasters, but I don't fully understand how it would work in your idea. Is the quest of saving the world assigned to one player? Because surely if that is the case, and that person isn't on, is a bit of an idiot or just genuinely fails, does that screw the game up for everyone else. If it does, the game will suck, if it doesn't it doesn't really serve much point. Every time someone fails a quest, you get an animation in your screen. Err... great?

What could work better is if the worlds acted independently. They could trade, and you might be able to travel between them, but you really belong to one planet and that is where your loyalties lie. Then, when some natural disaster is about to occur on your home planet, everyone from your planet would also be given the quest to save your world. Maybe, you would have to work together. If you failed, everyone would have harder quests, less loot for a little while.

Yes this was my plan,the quest would be available for everysingle person who is loyal to that planet. Then if they fail they must do little side quests and gather materials like wood and trade them into there town in return for experience or other rewards

Quote:
Original post by Raghar
I see two problems.

1. Unsuspecting player would be hit by missile, and scream murder.
2. It's a MMO, and market is overcrowded. (add into it an economical downfall...)

Well to solve this problem everytime a player logs on he will start on his personal computer which will show latest news..In that news it will say missle heading towards londonin *Timer counting down* They will have plenty of notice. Also dieing once in a city wont really do much as there will be emergency service robots acouple of minutes afterwards to revive you..

Also the economical downfall will probably not affect me as I am only 14 and am unable to make a game of this scale at this time until i am older..

Put simply, I don't think this would ever work as an MMO. It's too easy for the balance to become off with people choosing one side over another. There is no reward mechanic for players to keep going beyond Do more missions! It seems the whole concept takes all the fun of developing a character out and all the fun of slugging someone else out as well.

Further i want to be the hero of an MMO like this and i wouldn't even feel very important...i'd feel like it was just another day...so even if did well in sales not many people would actually subscribe for very long and that's where your real market is.

I disagree - I believe it can definitely work, and has the potential to work well. What needs to be addressed, is just how to create such a system wherein players can interact and cause and prevent large scale events and potentially cataclysms, without breaking the essentially free-form nature of the game mechanics.

I think the better solution, is to think of each player as a 'budding general' from one of the original planets - and allow them to only affect a series of populations from other planets. I'd probably not use an MMO, but would allow a reasonably large number (64-256) of players, and allow a number of different servers with different rules.

Now you have a scenario wherein your homeworlds are always stable, allowing a 'safe' spot for new players. The conflict revolves around a network of planets and populations who can potentially align themselves to any faction. The objective of the game would be to control that population; whether taking direct, affirmative military action, or trying something more subtle, such as underground indoctrination through cults and what-not. Different results occur with each, dependent on the population and the effect.

A total-control scenario can be avoided - when one faction begins to gain an advantage, the population can become less sympathetic to their cause, making them easier to swing back.

How you'd handle distribution of players on the other hand, is a very different question.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement