• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sybixsus

Shadowmapping: Light Leaking

This topic is 3619 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a fairly simple shadowmapping system in place, but it suffers from light-bleeding and I'm not sure how best to resolve that. When I first implemented it, I was trying to find ways to deal with the artifacts which crop up. It was suggested to me that I use front-face culling during the depth pass, and of course, that's very good at eliminating self-shadowing artifacts because the only areas where any artifacts remain are either facing away from the light or very close to it. Of course, it makes sense that this would also create a problem with light-bleeding into shadowed areas, but I have no idea how I can fix this. Should I be attempting to fix it? And if so how? If not, how should I go about avoiding artifacts if I revert to backface culling? A simple bias was not effective in my levels.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by sybixsus
Should I be attempting to fix it? And if so how? If not, how should I go about avoiding artifacts if I revert to backface culling? A simple bias was not effective in my levels.
Can you post a screenshot or two of your levels? Shadow mapping techniques are very sensitive to the environment.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!