• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
horrorgamewriter35

Would you like to see more Bosses in a horror game?

This topic is 3644 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This thread is only about bosses in horror games. The question is simple. Would you or would you not like to see more bosses in a horror game? Because the game I am doing is possibly going to have one new boss per game mode. Like for example on the easy mode you might have a flying demon, but when you play the normal mode you might be facing a water creature instead of the original boss. this of course is just an example of what i am trying to point out. the question though is would you be for or against more bosses in a horror game. because personally i love facing them because you know that there is a chance that you will not survive...to me bosses make the game more scarier because of their unpredictable patterns and movement. like them crashing through walls, breaking down windows and or doors just to get to your character. anyways the question is stated above...please keep the replies to the topic itself. I do appreciate the replies that will be made.,..thanks for reading this thread.

Advertisement
In horror games I like "bosses" that you don't fight. Think of Tyrant in RE2 when he busts through the wall and you're thinking "Get me the @#$% out of here!".

Bosses are ok, but they're more comical than anything. They're not scary. Dying in a video game isn't scary.

I don't mind the bosses in horror games. The main issue I have is that the term "boss" suggests that the majority of the game will be fighting hordes of underlings. While that's fine for a standard action game I generally don't find those types of games scary; they're just action games with a "horror" setting (zombines, demons, what-have-you).

You could make a genuinely scary game based on just one nigh-invincible enemy, where the objective is not to beat the boss but merely to survive.

The main problem i have with horror games is that every one i've play their controls suck and your supposed to freak out while playing these games... and then try to move a char fast with these bad controls. A lot of them aren't scary and the control take you out of the story and then for most of the game you know what your up against which is half the scare factor gone right there.

Games don't use enough of what movie has taught us over the last century which is I don't need to show you anything. The monsters your mind creates is far scarier than anything I will ever show you. And further...even the cutest things can freak people out.

If I were to design a horror game I would make no enemies. Your enemies would literally be the place you are in. The game would show you things not there and kill you with things that are triggered by you. You would also not allowed to save at all. The game would be designed to be played in a way that you could theoretically get to the end in a very short time. You would gain nothing and all that you could lose was the life of the character. The game also remember where and how you died and why...powering off would count as a death and display these to you on walls and through unreal visions. And then at the very end you'd open a door. A bright light would flash. You'd hear a laugh as you get the dead screen, but this time you're spirit would raise from the char body and be met by Death who takes you above the world where you would see the 4 horseman of the apocalypse killing everyone and souls begin to rise towards you as screams and wails are heard before you are taken to hell and told you did good.

I agree with what dashurc said, I'd like to see more non-standard bosses. The kind you have to avoid rather than kill. That way it is impressed upon the player that they aren't all powerful. That they can, and will, die if they try to stay and fight. These events are a lot more meaningful than beating up some random monster, then moving on. To put it simply, yes. I would like to see more bosses in horror games, if they are unique.

Just so you know, this next paragraph is slightly off topic, but still in the realm of boss fights in horror games.

I'd like to see more characterized than 'throw-away' bosses. Think Lord Saddler compared to El Gigante from Resident Evil 4. Lord Saddler is a prominent piece of the story, that you constantly see and learn about. You encounter him multiple times, each time simply surviving, until the final confrontation where you take him out for good. El Gigante on the other had, comes out of left field while you are walking in a canyon, and is never thought of again after he dies. I think a more personal character as a boss would be more entertaining. Of course, this goes for all games, not just horror.

As a side note, I really like your idea for altering the final boss depending on the difficulty. If you can figure out a way for it to fit into your game, I'd say go for it.

Bosses in a horror game?

No, just no. Defeatable bosses in an action game or even RPG, sure go for it. But there should be something special about horror games - they really shouldn't follow video game conventions.

Quote:
Original post by Durakken
The main problem i have with horror games is that every one i've play their controls suck and your supposed to freak out while playing these games... and then try to move a char fast with these bad controls. A lot of them aren't scary and the control take you out of the story and then for most of the game you know what your up against which is half the scare factor gone right there.

Games don't use enough of what movie has taught us over the last century which is I don't need to show you anything. The monsters your mind creates is far scarier than anything I will ever show you. And further...even the cutest things can freak people out.

If I were to design a horror game I would make no enemies. Your enemies would literally be the place you are in. The game would show you things not there and kill you with things that are triggered by you. You would also not allowed to save at all. The game would be designed to be played in a way that you could theoretically get to the end in a very short time. You would gain nothing and all that you could lose was the life of the character. The game also remember where and how you died and why...powering off would count as a death and display these to you on walls and through unreal visions. And then at the very end you'd open a door. A bright light would flash. You'd hear a laugh as you get the dead screen, but this time you're spirit would raise from the char body and be met by Death who takes you above the world where you would see the 4 horseman of the apocalypse killing everyone and souls begin to rise towards you as screams and wails are heard before you are taken to hell and told you did good.

in vampire masquerade bloodlines there is a haunted mansion you visit. There is loads of spooky stuff and its pretty damn scary. There are no monsters in the mansion but you dont know that until you finish it.

You need to include some enemies in a horror game so that you are never 100% certain that you are safe.

a nice touch would be to have enemies move faster when you are not looking at them.

looking out a window would increase the chance of an enemy crashing through but not looking out would guarantee the enemy will hit you if it crashes through. This would work for closets, under beds or any confined are which you are not required to investigate.

lighting / perceived danger could increase the chance of slipping or falling down stairs.

investigating a vase could accidentally smash it possibly alerting enemies or cranking up the fear meter.

an unexplored room would have a higher perceived danger rating, after when you leave the room if you dont come back for a while the danger rating would climb.

good lighting would calm the character but increase the chance of attack.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!