• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Durakken

Game saga idea...

This topic is 3617 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, first post ^.^ anyways... I would like opinions on this idea/ideas... The overall story of this saga is the story of the Dragon gods and what happens to them throughout time...That's the main connecting factor throughout. Name: Ka Terra (Ka from the egyptian meaning Spirit, and Terra meaning Land) Game 1: Subtitle - Sibling Rivalry The story: It's a very basic story. The elder of 7 dragon gods is granted infinite knowledge which leads to him going insane. This poses a threat to the universe in the eyes of the youngest dragon god. He travels to each of his elder brothers and asks for them to grant him their power...to do this they need to be sealed within armor the youngest brother will wear in his battle with the eldest. To seal their powers...they view it as dishonourable and will only allow it if the younger proves he is worthy of doing so. During this process there is minor love story that isn't really followed in game, but plays a factor later on. Genre: Fighter Gameplay: There is a story mode which is above...and basic vs mode which i think is the better part of this game... The game play is a mix between 2d and 3d fighter platformer and a fighter. Basically there is a 3D map that you can move around on in 2D movement and 3D movement...the mode of movement is altered by a button press that is independent for each char. changing the mode changes how the character operates as well. In 2D mode it works like a fighter such as MvC2, but while in 3D mode it work more like a 3D platformer in that single buttons access specials and there is a button for jumping rather than just pressing up... Problems: switching between 2D and 3D mode may be annoying for some players and may not work too well in certain circumstances. The other problem is that the story is pretty weak, but it is more or less a set up for future stories. Game 2: Subtitle - The Final Chapter. The Story: Jumping years into the future the Youngest and last Dragon god has been corrupted by having so much power. He and his love from the previous story have had a child which she hides away before being killed by him. This child grows up and become an assassin for hire. The Assassin takes on a job that sends him after the dragon god, his father. At the end, The son seals the father away and hides each piece of the armor away from each other so that it may not be used again. Genre: Stealth Action Adventure Gameplay: The game take place mainly in a city where the player must learn information about it's target, either by coercion or stealing it. The game is more about doing one specific job than it is about taking out those surrounding the target. Game 3: Subtitle - End Game The Story: the story of a boy who lives on a farm and spends his days working and wishing to be a famous hero in the world of Muyziel. One day, fate intervenes and takes him down the path of being the very thing he dreams of when he meets band of mercenaries out to purge world of a great evil, or so it seems. Midway in the story you find out what the characters are doing and that the farm boy is really the thing that the mercenaries are trying to elimintate and the player gets to decide whether he continues with them or against them....which leads to the same end of them accomplishing their goal. what does this have to do with the previous stories? The character is a dragoon and the dragon spirit that inhabits him is the eldest dragon god. Also to accomplish the goal of the mercenaries the sealed dragon god armor pieces are necessary... At the end of the game a great magical evil monster is released and all the characters are killed. Genre: RPG Gameplay: More or less Ka Terra: End Game is a typical RPG. The player takes control of a main character and their group and adventures throughout the world trying to obtain their goal. However, I believe that this game will diverge from and or improve on existing models of how RPGs play. #1. Parties in RPGs are often limited in size in some fashion even if there are 2 dozen characters for you to choose from. Those you don’t use either gain EXP for no apparent reason or fall behind so that when you do wish to use them they are unusable without raising their level up to meet the rest of their party’s level, which often times takes the player out of the game and makes it quite boring. In KT:EG the player will be able to bring large groups with them and use all their characters through tactical switching, similar to FF8's battle system mixed with FF12's gambit system. The player will be able to set certain controls up so that those characters off screen will still be able to effect those on screen. On top of this the front line party will be able to switch between the back line mid battle to alter commands or take specific tactical actions. Essentially this allows for a player to be able to make tactical decisions in battles specifically to the situations and out of battle in general without being bogged down by too many characters on screen that they have to control or be bored due to being able to allow the AI to take completely over. More over, those characters that you can’t or don’t bring along with you will all also be able to be assigned jobs or take jobs at their leisure so that they may earn EXP and skills without you playing them and without them just magically acquiring it #2. Characters in RPGs are more and more having their equipment and gear being taken out of the hands of the Player. While some characters it makes little sense for the player to allow them to manipulate their equipment it makes no sense for others and for the main character it is absolutely ridiculous that the player have so few options. In KT:EG the play will have to earn the respect and trust of most of the characters and as they do they will be allowed to make alterations in various ways. Gifting, where the player gives the character an item and hopes they realize it’s good. Suggesting, where a player may choose how to outfit a character but the character may switch back to whatever it wants due to have a predisposition to certain equipment or what not. Ordering, which makes the character switch, but maybe not completely. And finally scaring them into the equipment which makes the character switch and stay in the select equipment, but perhaps at a cost. While this may seem a bit of an annoyance it also adds depth to the game as the characters all exhibit their own personalities. #3. The world itself is huge. While most games tend to scale down their world so a player can get around easier or just limit how far you will actually be traveling this world is meant to be the size of the Earth, but with less population. It is intended that each NPC in the game have a life that the player can interact with. They also each will have personalities and stories of their own so that if a player interacts with just about any of them they may find themselves trying to recruit them or trying to solve their problems. The whether is also meant to change from day to day, season to season, like it does in the real world. If you pick up the gam in winter you will be cast in a winter world, while if you pick it up in summer the same is true. Of course to solve the problem that a character would move to slow from place to place various travel options will be set up so as to maintain the reality of the game as well as the enjoyment of the player. Game 4: Subtitle - Omega Muyziel The Story: This is a continuation of game 3. A new group gathers together and attempts to suppress the rampaging monster released at the end of game 3. The monster is destroying the world, city by city, and by the end of the Game the youngest dragon god's son decides that the world is no longer able to sustain life for much longer and decides to transport many of the surviving remnants to another world as the group sacrifices their lives sealing the monster back, which is transported with the group to the next planet accidentally. the rest is same or similar to game 3 Game 5: Subtitle - Paradise The Story: Thousands of years later on the new planet a paradise has been established and the legend of the hero that sacrificed is well known. a group of teen friends exploring an ancient ruin accidentally releases the monster from the previous games whom while mad is more sentient, being the combination of many souls, including the and primarily the Dragon Gods. This monster goes on yet another rampage ending with only the group that fights back against it, the ones that release it, surviving...This time instead of destroying or sealing it away the son of the dragon god, and the anti-thesis of the dragon gods are summoned to do battle with it...creating the architecture of the modern religions and mythologies... again the rest of the stuff is the same or similar to game 3 and 4 So...what do you all think? thanks in advance as that is a long read.

Advertisement
Wait... so is this multiple games or all in one game?

Also, for the 3D to 2D transition, I think having it switch to 2D mode automatically for fights would be less of a burden than having the player do it manually. Also it would prevent you from having to script some sort of method of fighting in 3D. (or come up with a reason why people could avoid fights in 3D)

I'm gonna go ahead and assume you're just locking the camera for 2D mode, otherwise I suggest you do that... Because if you were thinking of making all new 2D artwork for the 2D mode, that's going to be an incredible amount of extra work. Literally two games worth of art and programming.

I can see how it could be fun though, being restricted to a 2D fighter game yet exploring the world in 3D has a lot of possibilities.

Yes this is 5 games... the first 2 for obvious reasons. The last because even though they are essentially the same story...more so than the first 2 they use different characters and are a different arch within that story. Personally I'd feel quite a bit annoyed having all my characters being killed off twice and having to start over in the same game so that's mainly why they are spearated...along with the fact that timeline wise story #1 takes place roughly 800,000 years before story 5, 2 is roughly 20,000 years after that and 3/4 is roughly 700,000 years after that... so yeah.

What i was thinking for the 2D to 3D transition is that if one person is in 3D it would keep a mainly 2D or locked camera, but with 3D it would stretch and split like some games used to do so that the stages could be, say, the size of a building and the characters could be on different levels. Also what i mean in 2D mode...not using 2D models but 2D gameplay. The art would all be the same just that their movements would be locked into a 2D plane.

The idea behind it is that 2D allows more skill while 3D allows more freedom so
so the controls for the 3D part reflect that as they will mainly be spells and fire balls and such to be launched by pressing/holding a single button rather than having to do have circle forward...but at the same time using that in the 2D format.

Oh also i was thinking that since almost all platforms have a hard drive now it would be cool that with all the new games characters from them could be passed to the 1st to use in it.

That takes a bit of explaining...

I go straight from the beginning of time and merge myth and legend into real world ideas knowledge and myth and legends...which is where I see a lot of negative press would come from because I believe in mature content that talks about or uses anything that the mind can think of...so I'll give a brief time line.

The physical universe is 14.5 Billion years old as of current day...Before this point the non-physical universe existed, popping into existence when the entity of Trine came into being...randomly of course ^.^ The Trine is the source of all things and as it begins to think thoughts and ideas these take on their own form within the etherial universe for about a thousand years until The dragon gods came into existence each representing an element (the 7 elements are a mix between western and eastern base elements) and with the creation of these seven dragon gods came the physical universe and the representation of destruction.

They can take any form, but they choose to take on the form of the Dragon upon their creation...save for the Destruction God which is actually the form of an Angel.

So see it's a bit of a weird thing but when it is said "dragon god" it means both. Each of them have a humanoid form, and a dragon form...and any other form they wish.

The son is weirder still as he is a cross bred Dragon god/vampire that has 3 souls but he born much later.

After the gods create the universe and allow sentient life to form on it's own. They get bored waiting and decide to create their own on Muyziel around 14,499,000,000 years after setting the universe in motion... this first sentient creature is in fact dragons which might be why the dragon gods take on that shape...

Dragons rise to power and fight each other, then others and eventually become limited in numbers, and eventually humans become the dominant race so...i would assume that because humanoids are a more common form later on and it's easier to move about inconspicuously they'd take a human form, but since many races still revere dragons it would be implied that they almost never use their full power unless in dragon form as it's a natural reaction to use as little of your power to get what you want as possible...especially when you are as powerful as they and been around as long as they.

So...whether you want to call it their true form is not is really sort of optional...it's just easier to refer to them as such...

Quote:
Original post by Durakken
So...what do you all think?

I think you need to get to work on Game 1.

Seriously though, your plots seem pretty solid and full of life. After reading your post, I have high expectations of your in-game situations and stories.

You didn't get very deep into the gameplay, though, and that's what it's all about for me. I like your huge-background-party idea that allows for strategic use of a range of characters for a given situation. But what does the player do in game3+? Just wander and converse with characters? Is there battle? Is it turn based, overhead, real-time, etc? Need to know some of these things to provide any sort of opinionated game design judgment.

For now, all I can say for sure is that you've got a good sense of direction, a good imagination, and you really like to plan ahead.

I'm deciding on which to work on first. Unfortunately for me I work best in groups, but thus far I have yet to be able to get a group together and since I'm deranged and like to build from the ground up on everything I need learn more programming, art, and get better at writing before i go much beyond the point i'm at now...though i guess writing it all down is the biggest part anyways.

I'm good at plot and background but details tend to escape me a lot of times. More or less I'm working on game 3 as it seems like the best place to start with my skill and abilities and given that i can't find team mates. And for that so far it seems a bit...lacking to me, but then I realized something while working on writing stuff up the last few days is that there is a very simple solution though not very deep to keep the story going...and that is pretty much the same way that a Zelda game keeps going, making you have to collect something, which i had added already and just had to tweak the end game plot a little and that was The dragon god armor pieces...so for game three the main driving point is first you learning and then you collecting armor... and then finding the goal to release that sealed monster. Pretty simple but I would assume that much drama could be placed within that.

The 4th game is largely undecided...but i do know the beginning of the game will involve the main characters escaping and learning their destinies...considering the nature of the other party members the likely driving force behind this is finding other people to help stop the monster.

The fifth i would guess it would have something to do with learning the ancient secrets that have been lost...imagine trying to learn magic when noone had practiced it in thousands of years...

Obviously there will be battles in the game...i haven't decided whether to make it some sort of combo system like Xeno Gears/Legend of Legaia or more like FF3 or a Legend of the Dragoon style type system... but it will be turn based where each character has a speed stat and somehow(it always confusing me when I am not programming it) using that stat it will arrange who goes next.

Personally I would a way to create any sort of equipment and place it on the body any place one can...but that's a bit large in scope so with that i can say there will be a weapon customization mechanic where you can choose the type of equipment, enchantments, and materials at the very least...and you'll be able to equip at least the standard within older school RPGs which is left/right hand and 2-4 accessories, but that will likely be more extreme to the amount of every major body part being able to equip something.

Leveling up...there will be mechanic to automatically do it, but i am considering a point system where you get a number of points and get to place each point in your basic stats or purchase skills...while at the same time you will gain proficiency and adapt to things by using them. For example at first wearing heavy armor may slow you down, but later it will normalize...and like wise if you take it off you will speed up for a time, but skills such as swordsman ship will be gained permanently.

I think i mentioned the driving forces which will obviously create things for the player to do beyond just go here - get this...These are legendary items that if you knew about them they'd either be considered to sacred to use or hidden and protected so it allows for a lot of well now what. I think it's because i believe the world will provide the gameplay that i'm not really concerned with trying to figure it out at this point...I mean...if there is a chasm beyond you and your quest goal you quest goal becomes build a bridge and once you get that you ask how do you do that which leads to now i got to get the materials and find someone to build it. I think that makes more sense than game play like in RE where you find a hexagonal shape in a wall that has a key in it but you have to find the hex key, which you have to magically know is split in pieces and find all those pieces which show no indication of being a part of that hex key. Or in FF12 where you can't open 4 chests to get the ultimate weapon. Those are silly and bad in my opinion because it makes the player rely on a guide or just not enjoying the game.

Camera angle is hard to say because i may get a team together or be able to learn beyond my current knowledge but right now if i were to do it all from what i can do now without learning a single thing it would be a 3/4 angle, web browser game which is way below what i want but hey if it get's it done i'll do it.

Game play beyond all that... you could always just explore as i really want to make this world a realistic size so that a city is really the size of a city in that situation with nothing blocked off. Considering that you could just terrorize people, steal things, conquer the world somehow (so should make sure you can make the entire world recognize you as the ruler) or if I am able to do it the player could always just read actual full length books in the game relating it's mythologies and history... sure it's kind of weird to have a full book in the middle of a game but it would add to depth.

And to hit back on what i said about my skills...i currently have basic level C and C++ programming ability...text based stuff with a little bit of data base experience. Failed out of an Art Institute due to being sick and burning out in the animation department i never wanted to be in, that i got in through being accepted at the last moment by the top person in that department who is very critical and almost never says yes to anyone that he looks at so...that's gotta mean something. And I've gotten second place in a poetry contest and been published for a prose in a local thing...I also was a pianist who won a state championship, but stopped that...so i do have a lot of skills and a decent level in all of them they just really aren't good enough in any one particular part in my opinion. But I am going to work on those starting this year and hopefully in the next 2 years i will have at least a working demo of all this. Though that is a bit off topic oh well.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!