what is a good "paint" program.

Started by
19 comments, last by Rydinare 15 years, 4 months ago
I have been learning to use pygame for a little while and I have kind of find microsoft paint to be a real pain in the but. Can anyone recomend other free programs I could use instead. I have heard of GIMP but not much else.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Exercise, eat right and be the best you can be!Translation: Play video games for finger streangth and eat lots of hot pockets to be at top programming efficiency.
Advertisement
Perhaps Inkscape?
Its simple, features a decent plug-in architecture, and is free :-)

Paint .NET
I also have to recommend Paint.NET...excellent program!
Paint .NET is great, you can also have a look at GIMP which is also free.
GIMP has a lot more of Photoshop's features and Paint.NET is quick and fast and excellent for pixel art (don't take that to mean that is all it does well though), I use it for the majority of my image work.

If you're looking for something to simulate canvas and oil paints and such, ArtRage2 is the most awesome thing since sliced bread (and very cheap too!).
The three I'd recommend have already been mentioned: Paint.Net, GIMP and Inkscape

Paint.NET is like an improved version of MS Paint, and anyone using Paint should really try this. You'll probably pick this up faster. Its main downside is that its Windows only, so Mac people like me can't use it.

GIMP is the most popular free raster editor. It's got a ton of features and is powerful once you know how to use it. Its main downside is that the interface is counter-intuitive and makes everything harder than it should be (YMMV, but more people seem to think this than not).

Inkscape is a great free SVG vector editor, and my favourite open source app. It is, however, a vector editor, which means you work with shapes rather than individual pixels. The interface is IMO much, much cleaner than the GIMP and its my favourite vector editor (and I'm comparing this to Adobe Illustrator). I've got a tutorial in my sig if you need help getting started with Inkscape.

I'd try all three, as they're good for different things. And they're all free, so unless you're completely strapped for time or download bandwidth there's no reason not to.
You can find a list of available tools Here. I'm quite fine using MSPaint myself, although i have considered GraphicsGale (or an equivalent) from time to time.
Here are several lists of image editing programs. You probably want this one.

I must say that I rather like the GIMP's interface. It kind of reminds me of an OO program that has been stretched and refactored a lot. Kind of complicated and tricky, but very flexible.
Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid
Paint.NET is like an improved version of MS Paint, and anyone using Paint should really try this. You'll probably pick this up faster. Its main downside is that its Windows only, so Mac people like me can't use it.

There's always Paintbrush for us, right? LOL.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement