• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
G24UK

2D Game with DX9 SDK

This topic is 3453 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello to all gamedev members. Firstly, I wish Merry Xmas and New Year to everyone! I am a beginner with C++. I would like to build a little 2D game with DX9 SDK(Aug07). I am limited to this version as it is the requirement for the project. It will be a simple space shooter sim with some nice sounds and sprites and ideally user scoreboards. This is my first game project. May I ask your advice and tips for writing this game, i.e. good places for 2D DX tutorials or tips for setting up DX for this kind of project or any information that you experienced programmers think will be useful to me. I am using Vista/VS2005 Pro and TortoiseSVN along with the mentioned SDK. Thank you in advance :) G

Advertisement
For a free, online tutorial I really liked www.directxtutorial.com. It spends a lot of time on 3d graphics which you may want to skip, but has enough on sprites and input to get you going.

Don't go to directxtutorials.com. It's just a good way to guarantee that you'll be back here making threads about the problems caused by the bad programming habits that site will teach you.

Evil Steve is working on a series of tutorials aimed at the same crowd as directxtutorials.com, but he's only finished the first one so far. It's up on his dev journal.

Toymaker has some tutorials that includes using the 2D sprite functionality, and they're at least a bit better than what's on directxtutorials.

Thanks for the replies. I have spent the last couple of hours browsing directxtutorials.com. It seems pretty straight forward and well organised. It will be useful to me hopefully. Just wish all of the lessons were free...

I am familiar with toymaker site. The creator of this great site was actually my lecturer at Teesside, he is a great programmer and teacher. However I always seem to run into problems with his tutorials :) I do use it for reference though and it is a very good site.

Just checked DirectX properties on my pc, for some reason it is set to retail version of D3D9 (and everything else) and the checkpoint selection area is shaded grey - therefore I cant change this. Same with the Debug Output level slider. Any particular reason for this? How can I enable the debug mode? I think this is the cause for errors with "d3d9x_35.dll missing" I experienced earlier.

its about 4.30am... maybe I should sleep now

Quote:
Original post by MooseHuffer
For a free, online tutorial I really liked www.directxtutorial.com. It spends a lot of time on 3d graphics which you may want to skip, but has enough on sprites and input to get you going.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Please don't, for the sanity of yourself and everyone here who will have to answer your questions about all the bugs in that horrible, horrible code. It's not just obvious bugs, it's subtle ones that will cause your game not to work on some PCs, or to behave strangely in ways that appear not to be related to D3D.

Quote:
Original post by G24UK
Any suggestion regrding DirectX control panel? How to enable debug please?
Is it essential?
You can code without it, but I wouldn't advise it. It'd be like trying to write an application by only ever compiling in release mode and running the EXE from explorer rather than the IDE.

The only time I've see the option to switch to the debug runtime disabled is if you have an old SDK (E.g from DX 9.0b), and a recent runtime (E.g. DX 9.0c).
Have you got the latest SDK? What version do you have? (Latest is November 2008).

Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
Quote:
Original post by G24UK
Any suggestion regrding DirectX control panel? How to enable debug please?
Is it essential?
You can code without it, but I wouldn't advise it. It'd be like trying to write an application by only ever compiling in release mode and running the EXE from explorer rather than the IDE.

The only time I've see the option to switch to the debug runtime disabled is if you have an old SDK (E.g from DX 9.0b), and a recent runtime (E.g. DX 9.0c).
Have you got the latest SDK? What version do you have? (Latest is November 2008).

bugger.... it is aug07 DX9 SDK. I am limited to the use of DX9 for this project as it will be run on older XP machines and not Vista like i am running here... is there any way around this please?

Quote:
Original post by G24UK
bugger.... it is aug07 DX9 SDK. I am limited to the use of DX9 for this project as it will be run on older XP machines and not Vista like i am running here... is there any way around this please?
The latest DirectX SDK builds apps that run fine on XP, I have that set up like that on my work PC.

Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
Quote:
Original post by G24UK
The latest DirectX SDK builds apps that run fine on XP, I have that set up like that on my work PC.

Does this apply to the release version only? This project will have to be rebuilt on the XP machine with DX9 sdk in debug mode and release mode.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!