tips for an FPS camera?

Started by
0 comments, last by InvalidPointer 15 years, 3 months ago
Hi A bit of an art question i guess. Just wondering what is the best way to create a counter strike style FPS in terms of the models and FPS camera. Eg, the camera for the player, do you just create the models in such a way that you just stick the camera at the head of the model? Or do you model just arms and weapons for the player then offset them from the FPS camera? Im used to using cubes and triangles(programmer art) so the model and animation thing is abit new to me. Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Advertisement
Either way works. I'm a major advocate of the "stick the camera in the eyes of a 'third-person' model" approach, although most games tend to use separate view/weapon models and a separate set of 'first-person' arms. I would generally describe it as an archaic throwback to the days when memory and graphics horsepower came at such a ridiculous premium doing so was the only way to get a visually-acceptable result. If you do things the 'new' way, you get free scaling, animation and visible legs, depending on your culling scheme. Whatever floats your boat.
clb: At the end of 2012, the positions of jupiter, saturn, mercury, and deimos are aligned so as to cause a denormalized flush-to-zero bug when computing earth's gravitational force, slinging it to the sun.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement