• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
LostSnow25

Creating a Menu

This topic is 3524 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How would I go about creating a menu in a window? For an app I am making I want to have a menu that will hold sub menus and other stuff in it. So I am looking for a method in c++ or in openGL or in both. Thx in advance!!

Advertisement
there are widget tool kits and gui libraries, such as platform dependant(win32 for windows, every operating system has them) or platform independant ones like wxWidgets, or you can write your own GUI in openGL

Is this for a Windows app menu (File, Edit, View, etc.) or is this like an in-game menu using your own GUI?

If you were doing the former, using C++, you'd want to use Win32 or MFC to create the menus. Or you could use another language entirely, like C#. In the latter case, you're basically doing everything from scratch using your favorite graphics API. I'll be happy to give more help if you can provide more info on what you're looking for.

Thx for the replays. I am looking into GLOW since it handles menus and stuff but is it worth looking into?

Edit:
Im making a map tool for a game I am making in openGL, so just for version 0.1. I need a basic style menu for it. Later i'll make my own GUI and such.

http://www.opengl.org/resources/libraries/windowtoolkits/

Its on OpenGL homepage as in alternative to GLUT. It works with glut and even has its own classes for making windows and menus. It is dead I think since it was not updated since 2000. I am just messing with it right now to see how it would serve as a basic component in making menus.

Right now I am making a map tool app. Im looking for different ways of creating a menu in a window with glut. GLOW seems to be to difficult and unmaintained for my use but what I am looking for at the moment is just a way to create a menu.

After the map tool ill start on the game engine and the game itself so any tips on game menus would be helpful as well. But for now, I just like to see some basic ways of making a menu so I can get the hang of it and move on to the more advanced menus in games and such.

oh it's just for a map editor? If you're using windows, just write it in Win32/C++ assuming you're familiar with C++, or you could use C# and WinForms if thats your thing

Im writing it in OpenGL using glut. I happened to find menu controller in glut.

//Edit fixed//

My tool is more of a 3d map making tool. I am using Blender to make 3d models and then using my tool to place them on a map and make a 3d map of objects that will be loading into the game as a level. The goals I have for version 0.1 is to make a window with some basic menus, and load a obj file from Blender onto the screen.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!