• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Lorian14

GL_LINE_LOOP to GL_POLYGON

This topic is 3643 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi folks, I currently have a GL_LINE_LOOP which is drawing the land masses on Earth on a sphere, like so (limited to Afro-Eurasia for simplicity): GL_LINE_LOOP I would like to fill this with a background colour, I have tried using GL_POLYGON, but it hasn't quite worked... GL_POLYGON Any suggestions would be appreciated, I have been pondering over this for a few days but I'm not sure what the best solution would be. Cheers.

Advertisement
You have very complex shape, i suggest you to generate some triangle mesh offline (maybe as model in some 3D software) OR You could use Good resolution texture for this.

Thanks Semei,

I'd rather avoid using a texture, most of the time the zoom levels would be around 50nm or so, the texture would be insane to get it looking decent...

I'll see if I can figure something out in Blender.

Cheers.

Quote:
Original post by Lorian14
Thanks Semei,

I'd rather avoid using a texture, most of the time the zoom levels would be around 50nm or so, the texture would be insane to get it looking decent...

I'll see if I can figure something out in Blender.

Cheers.

cant make concave shapes with gl_polygon.

best way to do is to make a grid on the planet and display only zones in your viewport and give a level of detail to the texture according to the distance from that zone. (pretty much like google earth)

look into "quadtree lod terrain" . It'll be the same thing but as a sphere

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!