• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Positioning a model always infront of a camera

This topic is 3347 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm wondering what's wrong with my code: I'm trying to fix a model to the front of a camera such that it's always visible no-matter what orientation or position the camera is at. The effect i'm trying to achieve is a 3D cockpit. I have created the inside of a cockpit using blender and imported it into my scene engine. The model is in local coordinates - centered at the origin. In a shader (which is where is fails to display), I simply transform the incoming cockpit vertex into clipspace using the camera's projection matrix. I do not apply any camera view matrix as this should be unnecessary - I'm sure this process is correct - yet do not see the model. I've tried to add a small displacement to the model to push it away from the origin a bit before applying the projection matrix - no luck. Anyone able to comment...

Advertisement
If you position the cockpit correctly in Blender, you don't need to do anything.
Just set modelview to identity before rendering the cockpit.

Thanks v-man, at least you have confirmed that I am doing everything right.
I've setup a prototype in render monkey also have the same issue as my rendering engine. Using the shader the following code should do the trick:

// incoming vertex + a small displacement to aid visuals/debug
float4 l_posWS = float4 (IN.Position.xyz + float3(0,0,-5), 1.0);
float4 l_posCS = mul (glstate.matrix.projection, l_posWS);

Since, I'm using a shader the fixed function camera's modelview matrix is ignored - so its strange that I don't get the expected results.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement