• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DrHalan

Terrain Collosion

This topic is 3493 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I am creating a top-down style game that is *not* tile based. The terrian i use is a basic heighmap. So i am wondering how to create a 2-dimensional collision map from a heigh map. I for example want areas with an angle above 45 degrees not be passable. greetings, Halan

Advertisement
For my terrain I use ellipsoid (player) vs polygon collision.

By getting the players x,y position, I can quickly determine which polygon in the terrain the player is standing. I then check collision with that polygon and the surrounding ones (to a certain threshold).

If the normal of a polygons angle is > 45 degrees then i cause the player to slide down the tile if the angle is less than 45 degrees then I only offset the players y-position to sit on top of the terrain and don't modify x and z to prevent the player sliding down shallow slopes.

Yeah i wanted the player collosion to be a simple circle as it is easy to be calculated. I think i also don'T need the slidign down as i want to have natural boundaries in my game world.

I think i willl just go for squares the player will collide with.
Basically if one of the squares edges is higher than 1 meter compared to the other i will it make collide with the player.

Is that a nice behaviour?

greets,
Halan

I think the most simple way to check for >=45 degree angles is to check whether the height difference between the cell("tile") you're standing in and the target height point/vertex is greater or equal to the width/depth you have defined for your terrain cells.

In case that didn't make sense (and I'm sure it didn't): if for example your cells are 5.0 units wide and deep, any height difference between two points being >= 5.0 would also make their angle >=45 degrees. So in your case choosing 1.0 might or might not work, depending on how large your terrain cells are (if they were 100x100 for example, then a difference of 1.0 wouldn't even be visible, slope-wise).

I don't have the actual math to back this up, it just logically/visually seems to make sense to me. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!