• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Collision Detection Problems

This topic is 3316 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys Ok, so I'm working on a maze game featuring a ball that you move around the maze by tilting the maze (2D, but using 3D graphics). I have worked out how to move the entire maze and assign bounding boxes to each wall of the maze, however, I just realised that the collision detection method I'm currently using won't work dynamically. As the maze rotates around, the position of the world will be different and hence the algorithm needs to check the ball position against the new position of the wall. Hope that made some kind of sense. Anyway, I was just wondering how to go about this. I've been pretty stuck on this as most of the articles/tutorials I've seen refer to AABBs and things like that. Any help is appreciated. Ray

Advertisement
If I understood correctly, you've got AABB boxes to represent the collision geometry for the walls, and a sphere to represent the collision geometry for the ball.
You're correct that you need to transform the collision geometry accordingly whenever you transform the render geometry, but there isn't any kind of magic to this. When you apply a 3D transform to an AABB, it just becomes an arbitrary OBB and you do your collision tests using a sphere/OBB intersection test.

I believe RTR Object/Object Intersection Page is the standard source for reading into different kinds of intersection tests.

I'm not sure if it's optimal, but an alternative is to rotate the everything back to AABBs temporarily, and rotate the ball the same, and do collision tests in this space.

So uh, if it's a 2d tile kind of maze, why are you even worrying about this? Do 2d collisions, circles against wall segments.

Also, unless you're rotating different parts of the maze differently, you can just work in the non-rotated space for collisions.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement