• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Parse Tree Conversion

This topic is 3309 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have used parse trees to implement the '*' operator for my templated container class. The problem is that the parse tree node is not converted back to a container class until the assignment occurs. So the following code causes an error:
int out = myFunc( container1 * container2 );
I am using visual studio 2005. The error code is:
Quote:
error C2784: 'T myFunc(const container<T> &)' : could not deduce template argument for 'const container<T> &' from 'parseTreeNode<T,Left,Op,Right>'
The method that I used to implement the parse tree was described in 'http://www.oonumerics.org/blitz/docs/', for those who are interested. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Advertisement
You can probably give container a constructor that accepts a template expression.

Thank you for your suggestion. I should have mentioned it earlier. I have already implemented a copy constructor in the container class that accepts a parseTreeNode. Did you mean something other than that?

I think this is a simplified case of what you are dealing with.

#include <iostream>

template <class N>
struct Y
{
N n;
Y(N n): n(n) {}
};

template <class T>
class X
{
T value;
public:
X(const T& value): value(value) {}
X(const Y<T>& y): value(y.n) {}
friend std::ostream& operator<< (std::ostream& os, const X<T>& x) { return os << x.value; }
};

template <class T>
void foo(const X<T>& x)
{
std::cout << x << '\n';
}

int main()
{
Y<int> y(2);
//foo(y);
foo<int>(y);
}

It indeed won't be able to deduce the required type of X<T> in the foo call, unless the template type is explicitly given. Can't really think of a way to make that happen implicitly.

The source code that you've written is exactly my problem.

Had foo accepted a member of type Y, there would not be a compiler error. Foo could deduce its argument from the input parameter.

In this case, though, there is a copy constructor that is being called. Is this the reason why an ambiguity occurs?

Does anyone know a way around this without explicitly defining the type in the function call?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement