• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Lawl_Rock

SDL_Surface Render Limit?

This topic is 3493 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a pointer to an SDL_Surface. Every frame, I use TTF_RenderText_Solid() to render the FPS (taken from a stringstream) to that surface. It is blitted to the screen later in my main while loop. After about 250000 frames, the program crashes. Dev-C++'s debug mode tells me that the pointer is pointing to 0x0. After commenting out the line where that SDL_Surface* is blitted, I encountered a similar problem with another SDL_Surface* that serves a similar purpose. Is this because the pointers/surfaces were updated too many times, or is there another problem?

Advertisement
Well if a memory location is null then that means that it is being set to null.

I am guessing that you are not specifically setting it to a null so I am guessing that you are writing into an array beyond it's bounds. C arrays don't do bounds checking so if you write to a an index larger than the allocated array then another value next to that array memory will be changed.

Do you have any code you could post? That way we could have a better idea of the trouble spot. I personally haven't had much experience with debugging a problem like that but maybe somebody else could offer some tips.

The code where the SDL_Surface*s are set:
std::stringstream fpss, livess;
fpss<<"FPS: "<<fps<<" Frame: "<<frame;
livess<<"x"<<lives;
livesm=TTF_RenderText_Solid(font, livess.str().c_str(), textColor);
fpsm=TTF_RenderText_Solid(font, fpss.str().c_str(), textColor);

Where they are accessed:
apply_surface(screen->w-livesm->w, screen->h-livesm->h, livesm, screen);
apply_surface(0, screen->h-fpsm->h, fpsm, screen);

Each happens every frame.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!