Installation problem

Started by
2 comments, last by Evil Steve 15 years, 3 months ago
I have Visual Studio 2003 on my Vista laptop, so I recently decided to put 2008 express edition on it so I had search functionality that wouldn't freeze up. I realized that all the DirectX include materials (so i can #include <d3dtypes.h> for example) in 2003 don't magically carry over to 2008, so I attempted to install the latest DirectX SDK now that I have 2008. I don't see anything installed under 2008 now. I assume it only "sees" 2003 and installs there. Does anyone know if I have to go through the process of removing 2003 and reinstalling everything just to get 2008 to work with DirectX? Is there a simple solution I'm not aware of or perhaps DirectX doesn't install under express editions or something? Thanks in advance for the help!
Advertisement
You can just add the include and library paths to the Visual Studio paths under Tools -> Options -> Projects and Solutions -> VC++ Directories:
Lib paths

Include paths

Notice that the lib paths have a "x86" subdirectory.
That's interesting... The paths are already included. Guess DirectX just included it in a different way than in 2003. So why might I be getting a "Cannot open include file: 'd3dtypes.h': No such file or directory" error? Wait... I'll tell you why. Because d3dtypes.h was renamed to d3d9types.h. Awesome. Well, thanks for cluing me in to that setting! I didn't realize that integration change was made. :-)
Quote:Original post by Timptation
That's interesting... The paths are already included. Guess DirectX just included it in a different way than in 2003. So why might I be getting a "Cannot open include file: 'd3dtypes.h': No such file or directory" error? Wait... I'll tell you why. Because d3dtypes.h was renamed to d3d9types.h. Awesome. Well, thanks for cluing me in to that setting! I didn't realize that integration change was made. :-)
Ah, 'd3dtypes.h' was probably a DX8 or DX7 version of the file.

The DirectX SDK should auto-install for Visual Studio 2005 and 2008, although it seems to be a bit random about whether it decides to install or not [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement