What do you think

Started by
2 comments, last by Jouei 15 years, 3 months ago
Still working on my BlackJack Program (realy need to set around more time), and i have well basicly this so far - just to get the two PlayerCArd values (will be adited to get rid of the tester stuff like the number (yes i need to figure out the debugger aswell). Was jsut wondering if this was a good way of doing this or if there are "Better" ways - i know that system pause isnt a good idea ill try and sort that lol. Probaly shoudl ahve my class with its own header and source: other than that give feedback please. #include "stdafx.h" #include <iostream> #include <ctime> #include "stdlib.h" using namespace std; int Random_Number; int Deck[52] = {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,10,10,10,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,10,10,10,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,10,10,10,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,10,10,10}; class Card { public: int Get_Value() { Value = Deck[Random_Number]; return Value; } int Value; }; int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[]) { srand((unsigned)time(0)); Random_Number = (rand()%51); Card PlayerCard; Card *PointerPlayerCard; PointerPlayerCard = &PlayerCard PlayerCard.Get_Value(); char(Choice); std::cout << "Your first Card Value is:\t" << PlayerCard.Value << endl; std::cout << "Your First Random_Number was:\t" << Random_Number << endl; std::cout << "Type y to continue" << endl; std::cin >> Choice; if (Choice == 121) { Random_Number = (rand()%51); Card PlayerCard2; Card *PointerPlayerCard2; PointerPlayerCard2 = &PlayerCard2 PlayerCard2.Get_Value(); std::cout << "Your second Card Value is:\t" << PlayerCard2.Value << endl; std::cout << "Your second Random_Number was:\t" << Random_Number << endl; } system ("PAUSE"); return 0; } cheers Catkill
Advertisement
Hey, looks good. Here's afew things I noticed..

Deck[52] & Value probarbly belong in your card class as a private members, and then pass in Random_Number (which you can declare in main instead) as a parameter to GetValue, and store the return Value. like

class Card{public:int Get_Value( int Random_Number )   //added param here{Value = Deck[Random_Number];return Value;}private:int Value;                           //make Value private instead of publicint Deck[52] = { .... };             //put Deck as private member of Card class};

so in the original code Get_Value returns the Value of the card, but after you call it you don't store the return value anywhere, and then access Card.Value directly later to get the value. Now that it's private how about:

int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[]){int Random_Number;             //declared here instead of globalsrand((unsigned)time(0)); Random_Number = (rand()%51);Card PlayerCard;Card *PointerPlayerCard;           // } no idea what this is for??PointerPlayerCard = &PlayerCard;   // }int cardValue = PlayerCard.Get_Value();   //store the return valuechar(Choice);std::cout << "Your first Card Value is:\t" << cardValue << endl;std::cout << "Your First Random_Number was:\t" << Random_Number << endl;std::cout << "Type y to continue" << endl;std::cin >> Choice;if (Choice == 'y')                 //use the char 'y' instead of 121{Random_Number = (rand()%51);Card PlayerCard2;Card *PointerPlayerCard2;PointerPlayerCard2 = &PlayerCard2;int cardValue2 = PlayerCard2.Get_Value();etc...}

So changing it around like this means 1) no more global variables, which are generally considered bad practice 2) we've 'encapsulated' data inside the Card class, which is a key concept of C++.

When i add my Deck array into the Card class it doesnt compile (undeclered identifier i think). Any ideas? Also can anyone explain basicly how to call the classes easier as you say you dont knwo what all those pointers and stuff are for , me neither to be honest , i just saw it in an example - it worked when the other way i tried didnt lol

Cheers
Catkill
Ok well answer your first querstion then attempt a brief answer to the second.

First off the undeclared iddentifer deppending on what line fo code it is on is because where the scope where the error is ther eis no such variable ro class delaration eg

//A functionvoid Do(){int Test=0;  //This variable only exists in this function }//So if wtryed to go like this Test = 40;   //We would get your error//Also if we define a varable after we try and use like soint Test1 = Test2;int Test2 = 5;//The same error would occur because the test2 variable would not exist yet.//In the case of class if you try and access a varable like the deck varable//like soclass Card{int Deck[52];}//You cannot access it like this because that variable does not existDeck//This is how you could access itCard Cards;Cards.Deck[12] = 10;//Bascialy scope is important just go to the line where the error is and check//To see if you are trying to access somethign that is not there

As for the second question thats abit more of a borad question but ill give you a very basica low down.

A pointer is exactly as it sounds it point to a memorie location in your computer where a variable is stored. This is represented by the * symbol

A refrence is essentaly the samething but is used in arguments generaly

I wont go in anymore depth then that but it is very important that you read and reread pointers ether via tutorials or better yet an actualy articule tell yyou understand them they ARE that IMPORTANT and if used inccorectly hazerdas and can in some very rare instances do damamage

Best Regards Jouei.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement