• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Xcode?

This topic is 3404 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, My computer running Vista has crapped out on me so I can't use it another windows computer until a couple months. The only thing I have in my house is a macbook. I have had a craving to program and I need to satisfy that craving but I only have a mac so I can't run Microsoft compilers. I'm just wondering if XCode is worth using as a compiler. I've heard some mixed feeling about this compiler. My other option is to duel boot windows and mac but that takes up a lot of space that I might not have on this old macbook. I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions and to let me know if there is anything wrong with Xcode etc. Also another little question, I can't use directx and win32 programming correct? So would it be better to duel boot with windows so I can make games or is Xcode good for making non-Itouch games. Thanks for the Help! ~Mutton

Advertisement
Xcode is only an IDE and a set of tools. It uses the gnu compiler - gcc, so there's nothing wrong with the compiler.
The IDE in itself is a little bit different, but it's not bad. I kinda like it!

Xcode is also used for developing software for the Mac, including games. The GLUT framework comes with the system, and so does the latest OpenGL. Decide between either GLUT or SDL and use it with OpenGL and your game will not only run fine on the Mac but also in Windows*.
Note though, last time I checked SDL needs some extra glue on OS X to work.

* extra bindings for OpenGL extensions might be needed in windows if you're using more advanced stuff, but there are libs that take care of that

Quote:
Original post by mutton
I'm just wondering if XCode is worth using as a compiler.

Xcode is fine. It's an IDE, not just a compiler, and it comes with a lot of companion tools - Interface Builder, Shark, CHUD, Quartz Composer, OpenGL Shader Builder, etc.

Quote:
Also another little question, I can't use directx and win32 programming correct?

Correct. If you want to make GUI applications, you'll need to use Carbon for C++ or Cocoa for Objective-C. For performance 3D graphics, you'll need to use OpenGL. Note, however, that OpenGL on older (pre-aluminum) Macbooks as well as the current introductory level unit is generally poor, so you won't be able to do a ton of 3D graphics programming.

Another option is to use the SDL bindings, as pointer mentioned, especially if you're unfamiliar with programming Mac OS X. Or if you're comfortable with Python, PyGame or Pyglet are very usable alternatives.

Quote:
...is Xcode good for making non-iPod touch games?

Yes, Xcode is fine. I use it.

I have used XCode for projects just fine (using opengl+glut, have not tried it with SDL).

It's pretty simple to do it. All you have to do is create a new project, add the appropriate frameworks (Opengl and GLUT), and you're ready to code.

Something to keep in mind: There are some differences. For example, where you would use

#include <GL/glut.h>
#include <GL/gl.h>

with windows or linux, on a mac you would use:

#include <GLUT/glut.h>
#include <OPENGL/gl.h>

Quote:
Original post by Viral_Fury
with windows or linux, on a mac you would use:
*** Source Snippet Removed ***
But take note that many Macs are case-sensitive, so you need to write those as <OpenGL/gl.h> and <GLUT/glut.h>

Quote:
Original post by mutton
Alright thanks, also heard that codewarrior can be used on macs, is it any good?

No. CodeWarrior is a discontinued, non-free product. There's no reason to choose it.

Quote:
Original post by Alastair Gould
Xcode has some really good tools that comes with it. Like instruments(Understandble dtrace front end), and Quartz composer
Don't forget Shark - to my mind it is the ultimate reason to develop on a Mac [wink]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement