• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

How long should I spend programming 2d games before getting into 3d?

This topic is 3408 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've heard from other game programmers that you should spend some time programming 2d games before getting into 3d oriented APIs such as Direct3D or OpenGL. However I'm not sure when will it be the right time to do the transition from 2d to 3d. Anyways, I would like to hear your opinions.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Cyber_Cactus
I've heard from other game programmers that you should spend some time programming 2d games before getting into 3d oriented APIs such as Direct3D or OpenGL. However I'm not sure when will it be the right time to do the transition from 2d to 3d. Anyways, I would like to hear your opinions.

Whenever you're ready.

Starting with D3D or OpenGL is perfectly fine, you can even make a 2D game with 3D graphics quite easily.

3D game logic is a bit more difficult since it does require a little bit more math but if you got a decent grasp of linear algebra you can probably jump straight in here as well, the size and complexity of the project has a much larger impact on the difficulty than 2D vs 3D.

Quote:
you should spend some time programming 2d games before getting into 3d oriented APIs such as Direct3D or OpenGL

This isn't necessarily true. I know some people who have gone straight to 3D games and do just fine. The idea is that 2D games are simpler in some cases, so it may be easier to use 2D games to build experience with game programming, and learn basic game programming concepts. You can do the same with 3D. Some consider 3D easier than 2D.

If you've already started down the path of 2D games, I would say that the time to move on is whenever you feel like it, when you feel you're ready.

Note: when working in 3D, performance is a bigger issue.

Quote:
Original post by CodaKiller
Quote:
Original post by SimonForsman
if you got a decent grasp of linear algebra

Name even one instance where you NEED linear algebra to make a game?

You don't, it just makes dealing with 3D graphics alot easier since it covers for example vectors and matrices.

I wrote my first 3D game/engine without fully understanding matrices, so i know that it can be done(I did use vectors though)), i just wouldn't recommend anyone to try that for their first project since it makes things harder than it needs to be and you'll have plenty of other things to worry about for your first game. (For any later project i'd still recommend reading up a bit on it since it does simplify things)

If you can manage to write a good camera class (Pretty much required for most 3D games) without using any linear algebra i'd be quite impressed.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement