• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
polarboy

Global variable? [Solved]

This topic is 3589 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

okay I got it, you just extern them below was my problem ---------------------------------- Hi, I'm working on my map editor for my game. and I have encountered problem with global variable I made two global variables: offsetx, offsety I have made my program to pass these variables to my functions, but I still want to know why it didn't work Here's what I did I put the global variables into a header include that header on my main.cpp my eventctrl.cpp would say these vars are not declared but if I include the header to eventctrl.cpp as well, the compiler tells me multiple declaration detected. In that sense, what's the point of a global variable -_- Is there ways around it? Or should I just stick to passing in variables to multple functions, or even better, classes~~ [Edited by - polarboy on December 24, 2008 9:05:52 PM]

Advertisement
Quote:
I put the global variables into a header
Define "put" global variables in a header. What does that mean?

In any case, consider googling how to declare variables. Declare, not define.

Quote:
Original post by oler1s
Quote:
I put the global variables into a header
Define "put" global variables in a header. What does that mean?

In any case, consider googling how to declare variables. Declare, not define.

meaning putting declaration inside a header

ie int offset_x = 0;

The typical way I do global variables is as follows:

//globals.hpp
namespace global
{
extern int my_var;
}

//globals.cpp
#include "globals.hpp"

int global::my_var = 500;

//main.cpp
#include <iostream>
#include "globals.hpp"

int main()
{
global::my_var++;
std::cout << global::my_var << std::endl; //prints out 501
}

Just include globals.hpp in any files that need access to your global variables. Make sure your extern'd globals are only instantiated once, preferably all in a single file such as globals.cpp. Also, you would probably want to make the globals constant in this case.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!