• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Simple circle/AA box collision?

This topic is 3402 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know this is such a common topic and it seems so simple, and yet I have spent the past 48 hours googling/reading tutorials/searching forums, and trying everything i can think of, to no avail. was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to help me with some sample C (not C++) code, or just the math equations? to elaborate, here's my situation: im writing a simple breakout style game. the collision detect seems simple and yet i get multiple bugs, like the ball getting stuck in place or bouncing sometimes in the wrong direction. essentially, what im looking for (i think) is circle/axis-aligned rect testing that will tell me which side of the box the ball hit (or hit the most, since it could possibly overlap 2 or even 3 planes of the rectangle) something like (int)sphereIsHittingSideOfRect(struct aRect box, struct aRect circle) { //test if circle hits, and if so which of the four sides it is most overlapping return whichSide; } the main problem is that my ball can touch/overlap several rects, such as if it hits a corner area just right. this seems to cause problems. perhaps i can just ignore all but the most overlapped box in that case? any advice/sample code/equations are appreciated. thank you very much in advance

Advertisement
[edit]Sorry is c++[/edit]

Hi,

On IndieLib engine I implemented collision system that let's you create collision areas (triangles, rectangles or circles) and add them to your sprites grouped by names. And you can rotate / scale your sprites or zoom or rotate the camera and the collision areas will fit the sprite.

If you just want to check collisions between a circle and a AA box, you can checkout the IndieLib sourcecode. I think I used triangl to circle collision (using two triangles for the box). If you want something that will tell you which side of the box the ball hit, you can use 4 thin triangles, wrapped to each of the faces. And to check triangle to circle collision.

To solve the same problem i simply modeled the bricks as 5 boxes instead of one, the main brick which is tested first and if that test succedes 4 boxes on each side which are tested to work out which side the collision took place on:
________
_|________|_
| | | |
| | | |
|_|________|_|
|________|

Thats what each brick looks like if i was to draw the bounding boxes.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement