Linux box won't power off

Started by
2 comments, last by Oxyd 15 years, 4 months ago
My Linux computer (a Compaq Presario 6000) won't power down when I run "poweroff". acpi_power_off is being called, but the computer just hangs and I have to get up and push the button on the tower to turn it off. How can I fix this? I noticed a BIOS setting called "ACPI/USB Buffers @ Top of Memory" that I thought might have something to do with this. In case that helps.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I program in C++, on MSVC++ '05 Express, and on Windows. Most of my programs are also for windows.
Advertisement
Perhaps APM would play with your hardware better than ACPI. Some Google-ing results in (for Ubuntu, at least):

Add "apm power_off=1" to /etc/modules.

Add "acpi=off apm=power_off" to your kernel boot options. For Grub, these are found in /boot/grub/menu.lst on one or more lines beginning with "kernel". Add that text to the end of one or all of those lines.

Let us know if you have any luck.
I don't actually have a /etc/modules. And after crawling through my kernel config file, it doesn't seem that APM support is enabled. Is there a way to build it as a module without having to recompile my entire kernel? I'd really rather not take that kind of time for something that has no guarantee of working if I can avoid it...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I program in C++, on MSVC++ '05 Express, and on Windows. Most of my programs are also for windows.
Quote:Original post by EmrldDrgn
I don't actually have a /etc/modules. And after crawling through my kernel config file, it doesn't seem that APM support is enabled. Is there a way to build it as a module without having to recompile my entire kernel? I'd really rather not take that kind of time for something that has no guarantee of working if I can avoid it...

What distro is it?

Well, you can go to /usr/src/linux, run make menuconfig there, select APM support as a module (if it can be selected as a module), do make modules && make modules_install and then modprobe it. That is assuming you've got your current kernel sources in /usr/src/linux and it is the kernel that you are currently running -- that is, if you're running some sort of precompiled kernel, it isn't likely to work.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement