[web] PHP/SQL Help

Started by
10 comments, last by redfeild 15 years, 3 months ago
I'm trying to set up a user base for my website and I'm not completely sure how. Right now I have this code to be executed once the registration form is submitted:
Quote:
<html><?php
$con = mysql_connect("mysql2.freehostia.com","...","...");
if($_POST["username"] == "")
{
	die("The username field cannot be empty.");
}
if(($_POST["password"] == "") || ($_POST["password"] != $_POST["confirmpassword"]))
{
	die("The password field cannot be empty and both password fields must match.");
}
if($_POST["email"] == "")
{
	die("The email field cannot be empty.");
}
$mdy = explode("/", $_POST["dob"]);
if(!checkdate((int)$mdy[0], (int)$mdy[1], (int)$mdy[2]))
{
	die("The date format is incorrect. Please use MM/DD/YYYY, example 7/8/1975");
}
echo $_POST["username"] . " " . $_POST["password"] . " " . $_POST["fname"] . " " . $_POST["lname"] . " " . $_POST["email"] . " " . $_POST["dob"];
$username = $_POST["username"];
$password = $_POST["password"];
$fname = $_POST["fname"];
$lname = $_POST["lname"];
$email = $_POST["email"];
$dob = $_POST["dob"];
$sex = $_POST["sex"];
mysql_select_db("chrsno_wmhao",$con);
mysql_query("INSERT INTO users
VALUES ($username, $password, $fname, $lname, $email, $dob, $sex, 'datejoined', '0')",$con);
?><br />Click here to return to the register page.</html>
I need to know how to correctly: -Connect to the SQL database -Add the user to the SQL table I have set up Here is a link to the register page: http://isnooky.freehostia.com/register.html NO ERROR MESSAGES! That problem has been resolved, but as before, the new user does not get added to the database. I need much help with this (hint: Am I using the sql_query function right? I don't really know...). [Edited by - redfeild on January 13, 2009 12:16:58 PM]
Advertisement
The username and password you have for the database server is incorrect. If the database user can't connect to the database, your whole program is moot.
Quote:Original post by leiavoia
The username and password you have for the database server is incorrect. If the database user can't connect to the database, your whole program is moot.

No, the username and password are both right...
Am I using the right line of code to connect? I really just guessed with all that stuff...
Quote:Original post by redfeild
No, the username and password are both right...
Your database disagrees.
Quote:Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user 'chrsno_wmhao'@'66.40.52.29' (using password: YES) in /home/www/isnooky.freehostia.com/adduser.php on line 2

I tried changing the line of code that connects to the database:
Quote:
$con = mysql_connect("isnooky.freehostia.com","*removed*","*blah*");

But now I get this error:
Quote:Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to MySQL server on 'isnooky.freehostia.com' (111) in /home/www/isnooky.freehostia.com/adduser.php on line 2

I think the problem is the first argument that identifies the server, I'll try some more stuff...
Sometimes, all you need to do is to use 'localhost' for the server name.
given the error message, the original host was correct, but the password was not.
And you should really read up on SQL Injections :)
Otherwise you won't have much fun with your database long..

Marc
$dob = $_POST["dob"];
$sex = $_POST["sex"];
mysql_query("INSERT INTO `users` VALUES ('$username', '$password', '$fname', '$lname', '$email', '$dob', '$sex', 'datejoined', '0')",$con);

This is very very very bad. You're leaving yourself wide open to SQL injection. Look up mysql_escape_string.
Quote:Original post by mpipe
$dob = $_POST["dob"];
$sex = $_POST["sex"];
mysql_query("INSERT INTO `users` VALUES ('$username', '$password', '$fname', '$lname', '$email', '$dob', '$sex', 'datejoined', '0')",$con);

This is very very very bad. You're leaving yourself wide open to SQL injection. Look up mysql_escape_string.

SQL injection? I'm not familiar with the term... and I'll look that up.

I'll also check the username and password. Do I use the same one I use to log in to my PHP MyAdmin?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement