• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mutton

Directx, XNA, OpenGL?

This topic is 3559 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Directx, XNA, OpenGL? I'm really not sure which one to choose if I want to make game programming my career. I've began DirectX but I don't want to get farther into it before I know which one would be the best to know If I want to become a came programmer. Go companies care which I'm strong in or do they mostly look for one certain one. Any advice and experiences?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by mutton
Do companies care which I'm strong in or do they mostly look for one certain one?

Direct3D is extremely popular among Windows developers, but the key is to understand 3D concepts and programming regardless of API. Learn all, if possible.

That's 3 different APIs that do the same thing. They are completely interchangeable. There is minor differences, but the concepts are the same. Just pick one and learn it and get your game done. The graphics API is the least of your worries.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!